Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Too Many Cleaner Shrimp? Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by matthewb01, May 22, 2019.

1. matthewb01 Valued Member Member

Hey, guys so I've got a 32 gallon with an ocellaris clownfish, purple firefish, and a royal gramma. I have no shrimp in the tank and was wondering if I'd have any issues adding a pair of scarlet skunks and three peppermints. So would 5 total be too many for the tank?

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Giving this a bump up for you hope our salty members can answer your question today

3. Jesterrace Well Known Member Member

Definitely too much. I ran a single cleaner shrimp in my 36 gallon bowfront and later upgraded 90 gallon and it took care of the whole tank for me by itself and was only well fed when I over fed the tank. Peppermint Shrimp can make pests of themselves with corals, especially if you have no aiptasia pest 'nems for them to eat. I would get just one cleaner shrimp and call it good for a 32 gallon cube.

4. matthewb01 Valued Member Member

Ok, thank you. Is there any reasoning? Are they territorial or over compete for food?

As far as the peppermint shrimp I heard that they may eat already dead tissue from coral and may irritate but not harm the coral. Camel shrimp on the other hand often mistaken as peppermint shrimp will eat coral

Last edited: May 24, 2019