Help Too Hot Platy!!!

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
As some of you guys may already know the airconditioner in my apartment has been broken for at least two weeks now. They finally fixed it yesterday. But my tank had to deal with extremely warm temperatures daily sometimes going as high as 86! Now I finally have it back at a steady 80 degrees but my female platy acting funny. She hides in the toy log most of the time and only comes out to eat. Her body seems slimmer then usual but I didn't notice any lesions, bumps, spots or fin rot. Nothing to indicate what type of ailment she has.

The question is what to do now? I'm thinking about setting up a hospital tank for her, but what is the point since I don't know what type of illness she has? How do you keep a hospital tank cycled anyway if there are no sick fish in it?

Oh, I should add after eating she darts back and forth very rapidly. I'm not sure this is flashing exactly (I haven't seen her rub her body on any tank equipment) but it sure is peculiar.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
For the hospital tank, you can just use filter media you have on your current tank to cycle it quickly. Just keep an eye on your water parameters to make sure nothing gets out of whack.

As for the fish, I'm not sure what it could be. I'll let others answer that for you.

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It could be that she is just stressed from that high temp., and it may take her a while to feel better. How are your water parameters?
For a Q tank, when I am setting up a quick and have no seeded filter media, I just change 50% of the water daily, treated with Prime to detoxify ammonia until the next change. Just be sure to change the water at the same time every day.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't q at this point, it'll only stress her further. High temps can lower o2 and the changes in the environment so rapidly could be taking its toll. Give her some garlic soaked foods and/or medicated food for preventative measures. If she gets worse then consider qt. Take care!

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you ever have that happen again you could take an ice pack out of the freezer and put in a bag to try and help lower the temp. Sort of like acclimating fish when new to a tank, but doing the opposite and acclimating the water temp. down. Just a thought sorry to hear about your platy.

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Good news guys! My platy's okay. She's always been a little on the shy side, but at least now she's acting normal, feeding well and only hiding for brief moments. I think it was the temperature changes that made her feel sick for a while. (80 to 86 then back to 80.) But now she seems okay. Thanks for your comments guys.

P.S. Maybe I'll still set up that hospital tank, but I admit my motivation is weak now that the emergency has passed.

Last edited:

Jackie Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
UPDATE:

It turned out that my platy had Fish TB. I had to euthanize her in an awful experience where everything went wrong and my fish suffered tremendously. I feel kind of depressed now though I'm sure I'll get over it soon.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom