Too High Temps?

ap4lmtree

I have 4 x 2.5 gallon tanks with a hydro 50w heaters. Two of them I am able to maintain 80 degrees fahrenheit. However, on the other two, the temp stays at about 82-83 fahrenheit. For those tanks, I will downgrade to hydro 25w heaters. For my 40 gallon, I have a 200w hydro heater. On its lowest setting, the temp stay at about 79 degrees fahrenheit.

So, the questions are the following: [1] is 83 degrees fahrenheit too hot for a betta? [2] A long time ago, I had a bad thermometer and the temperature was 86 degrees for a 2.5 gallon, is that too hot? Fish cook at that temp, right? [3] Do they cook or die faster at 83 degrees?

[4] Is 79 degrees too hot for java loaches, emerald green corydoras and harlequin rasboras? Or, should I downgrade that 200w hydro to a 150 w one?

I had a 100 w hydro one at the highest setting, and it would get to only 76 degrees Fahrenheit, so I thought it wasn't powerful enough. Then, I bought a 200w one. Now, with the 200w one at its lowest setting, the lowest temp for the tank is 78-79 degrees, so it seems too powerful for my aquarium. So, 100w was too weak and 200w is too powerful.

Repolie

1. It's only slightly warmer than the 78-82 temperature range, I don't see anything wrong with that. They should be fine.

2. That temperature is hot for bettas and it may be stressful, but they'll live through it. Fish don't cook at that temperature, ich treatment is usually around that temperature.

3. No they don't cook at that temperature, but warmer temperatures speeds up a fish's metabolism which can shorten their lifespan.

Panpan

I was just wondering the same for my tank. I have a 3.5 gal tank with 1 betta in it (no heater). Since it is summer the tank reaches temps to about 88 degrees. I am looking for ways to cool it down to about low 80's. During the day I open the lid, and turn off the lights. Today it really hot and I put floating ice packs to cool it down. Not sure if that is a good way to cool it down but that's what I have been reading online.

ap4lmtree

I was just wondering the same for my tank. I have a 3.5 gal tank with 1 betta in it (no heater). Since it is summer the tank reaches temps to about 88 degrees. I am looking for ways to cool it down to about low 80's. During the day I open the lid, and turn off the lights. Today it really hot and I put floating ice packs to cool it down. Not sure if that is a good way to cool it down but that's what I have been reading online.

I don't think you should have a lid on at all. Only one of my bettas ever jumped out of a tank.It happened the night after I bought him. Now, I lower the water level some on his tank about an inch and a half. Likewise, none of my tanks of lights on them. However, I think you might have a specialized rather than generic 15 dollar aquarium, so I am guessing that your aquarium lid and light might be permanently attached or so. I used to use a fan on a 20 gallon aquarium. Likewise, that I had a lid and led light on it all the time. You can buy an aquarium fan for like 20 dollar on amazon. I don't particularly recommend them. However, since your temp is 88, I am not sure what else you could do besides a fan and ice packs. However, you need to keep the water temp lower. I had 2 bettas in each 2.5 tanks, and I kept the temp at 80 degrees fahrenheit. However, months later, after they died, I discovered that both the thermometers I used for those tanks was defective. When I tested them against other thermometers, I threw out the more accurate ones and thought those were defective rather than the ones I kept. It was only after more testing against more and new thermometers I bought that I realized this. It was likely their aquarium tank temps were always 86-88 degrees, but those two thermometers always reported 6 degrees lower. Temperature like that is the reason why I think they died rather than lived longer. Thus, it is sad for me that I could have prevented it if I had a correct thermometer and temperature.

Cichlidude

You could try aquarium cooling fans.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JenC
Replies
Views
WetRootsNH
Replies
Views
Aquarist
Replies