Too high lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by plug, Jan 6, 2013.

1. plug

plugWell Known MemberMember

On my second tank, I have dual T5HO lights
    They sit approx 4 inches above the tank and the tank is about 15 inches high

I have been running it for a couple of months and I am over run with algae
    I have a DIY co2 but it does not seem to be helping

If I remove one of the lights, which one should I remove?
    The 2 lights are

1) 6000 K Lamp
    2) Roseatte Lamp 650 nn

Will reomoving them possibly help with algae

The lights are on for approx 6 hours or so a day

water parameters are 0/0/10-20 ammonia/nitrite/nitrate

Tank is currently very lightly stocked with 3 Tiger Barbs

2. AlyeskaGirl

AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

I'd remove the Roseatte lamp. Running one bulb would knock it down to about moderate light.

You could also place window screening to reduce the intensity.

What algae is giving you trouble?

3. OP
    OP
    plug

It is green algae that is plagueing the whole tank

This tank just can't seem to catch a break...nothing working right in it

4. AlyeskaGirl

AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

You just need to reduce the light intensity and that will help you gain control of your tank.

Is it Green Spot or is it easy to wipe off?

5. OP
    OP
    plug

It is easy to wipe off
    Not Green Spot...it grows on my plants and covers them...I can easily wipe it off

It is also all over my glass...I had a Twig Catfish and he was eating all the algae off the glass (not the plants), but he died for no known reason a few days ago:( My heart is broken as I have a Twig in my main tank for over a year and he keeps algae off the glass...and he is by far my favourite fish

So I have the same lighting in my larger tank...and its deeper, but do not have the same issue with algae there. I have compressed C02 in larger tank, but only DIY co2 in the smaller tank with the algae issue

6. Siggi

SiggiWell Known MemberMember

I'll send you some of my duckweed - that will take some light out of the tank!!

:anim_63:

7. catsma_97504

catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Sounds like you have GDA (Green Dust Algae). This is a tricky form of algae to deal with TBH. Reduce the lighting by removing the Rosette bulb temporarily; or raising the fixture closer to a foot above the tank.

How many generators do you have for DIY CO2? How much does the pH fluctuate through the course of the day? Unstable CO2 could also be a factor.

I too am dealing with this algae. It will get quite thick. Just rub it off the plants as best as you can and the front glass, but leave the rest. Treat it like you would diatoms. It will eventually burn itself out. There are no known causes, cures or creatures that would eat it away.

My tank is the 90G high tech that has a GDA outbreak. Noticed that the early morning sun is peaking in and hitting the tank. Windows are covered with that privacy dark window film, but it is still becoming a problem. Been doing extra water changes to keep the tank clean; and increased circulation by chopping down the forest.

8. OP
    OP
    plug

I just have one DIY CO2 generator for this tank
    The ph does not fluctuate much s I am wondering if this DIY CO2 is actually doing any good
    The bubbles hit the surface so fast, they do not linger like in my other tank
    Even when I tested a DIY CO2 on my other tank, the bubbles came out fine and lingered and slowly went to the surface

I am going to remove the roseatte bulb and see if that helps

9. guster730

guster730Valued MemberMember

Are you using an air stone for the CO2 or just straight out of the tube? I use an air stone and placed it right under my filter's intake tube so it has plenty of time to dissolve, although this only works with canister filters. You could get a CO2 diffuser. Otherwise even with an air stone just going straight to the top does very little.

10. catsma_97504

catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

The best DIY diffuser is a wad of cotton shoved tightly into the end of the CO2 line. Nothing better! Most manufactured diffusers will not function in the low pressure DIY system.

If you are getting no fluctuation in pH, check for leaks.

Run a test by letting a cup of tank water sit for a day or two; then test the pH. And let us know what it is, along with the pH in the tank. This will help is to determine how much CO2 is trapped in the eater column.