Too Early For A Ram?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Lonewolf9395, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Lonewolf9395

Lonewolf9395Valued MemberMember

Hi All.

We have a cycled 23 gallon long that we have been slowly stocking. Right now we have 10 Harlequin rasboras and 6 Panda Cories. We plan to eventually have 12 Harlequins, 10 Pandas and one Bolivian Ram. Everything I have read indicates we should add the Ram last. However we have found that Bolivian Rams are hard to come by in our city. One of our LFS's has a sale this weekend with Rams on special. Would it be too early to introduce our Bolivian Ram even if we have not finished stocking the other fish?

Thanks for any reply!

2. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

I would do the ram last but I understand getting fish when you can find them. If you do get one now, I would be extremely slow in adding new fish, like 1 at a time!

Or set up a separate tank for him until the other tank is fully stocked. You could take some cycled media from the 29 for an instant cycle for him.

3. Culprit

CulpritFishlore VIPMember

How hard is it to special order is it and how big of a discount is it? How long has your tank been set up? If its been at least a month you should be fine but like angel said add other fish very slowly as rams are super sensitive.

4. Tana

TanaValued MemberMember

Are you going to quarantine? If so, maybe your other stock will be in prior to the end of the quarantine period for the ram.

5. OP
    OP
    Lonewolf9395

Thanks all for the responses. It looks like we will probably have to wait and hope we find Bolivians again. As the Pandas are not easy to find either (from a reliable LFS) I don't want to commit to only adding one at a time in the future. And they are so cute we really want to up that school to 10 when we can.

To answer some of the questions: the tank has been cycled for about 6 weeks. We do not have a quarantine tank unfortunately. We have to be very vigilant when purchasing in our observations of the stock. We do not have funds or space to set up a quarantine. I have not discussed special ordering in a Ram with either of out stores, this is the first time i have seen Bolivians in stock since January when we started this adventure. They often have the Germans but they are not temp compatible with our Pandas. This whole tank has been built around the Pandas. :)

Thanks for the input. We are the sort of people who like to do things right the first time which is why I checked.

Looks like it will just be a plant (or two) and maybe a few nerites purchased after work today. :)

6. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

I don't think it'd be a big deal adding the ram in now. You already have a good number of existing schools/shoals of the other fish. Besides, Bolivian rams are pretty peaceful and you're only adding one.

7. Culprit

CulpritFishlore VIPMember

I think you can add it in now. As long as you don't add too many fish in at one time. I would say you could put in the rest of your corys in just daily wcs with prime dosing.

8. OP
    OP
    Lonewolf9395

Yea. My thoughts were would a Ram really notice when four more Pandas show up eventually? As they will just school with the ones already there. I could always rearrange the tank before adding more Pandas to disrupt territorial issues.

In the end I think it will depend on how the stock and conditions look when I get to the store today.

9. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Highly unlikely the ram would be aggressive if that's what you're concerned of. How would he tell the difference between the new ones and existing ones?

My experience is that new schooling fish added join the others right away.

10. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Dwarf cichlids (from my experience) are a lot less aggressive when kept solo, so he should be ok! Especially Bolivians, they're unnaturally peaceful for a cichlid. Picking mine up at LFS tomorrow.

11. OP
    OP
    Lonewolf9395

So I got the Bolivian Ram today......and a Honey Gourami. :)

I should not be allowed in the LFS alone. Now we will let everything settle for the next month or so and then start the hunt for a few more Pandas.

Thanks for all the input today.

12. MattS99

Honeys are a lovely, peaceful fish. Good pick ups! Still waiting in my Bolivian, supposed to be in 2 days ago now...

I think you're just a bit overstocked, but don't worry about it. I probably will be a bit too tomorrow. My guppy wants a couple friends...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  13. OP
    OP
    Lonewolf9395

I have a really good filter and have done a few threads in the stocking forum. This stocking has been approved.

A few more Pandas are in the cards for us. 6 are great but 8-10 would be better. But now if we have to wait a number of months before we find more Pandas it's ok. :)

14. MattS99

I'm an overfilterer too. Sucks about the cories, though.

15. Tana

TanaValued MemberMember

Congratulations on your ram. I really love mine (profile pic) even though he gave my bronze cories a hard time and I had to eventually remove them. He's very personable.

I do want to stress the importance of getting another tank setup for quarantine and/or hospital. Check craigslist or yard sales because you can sometimes find great deals. Even if it's just a 10 gallon one.
    I know we all get a little impatient in this hobby, but sometimes the risks aren't worth the potential heartache of fish loss due to lack of quarantining.

16. OP
    OP
    Lonewolf9395

Thanks. I understand the need for a quarantine tank, I bring it up with my husband often. We are not opposed to purchasing a second hand tank, this tank we have now came to us that way. There is an issue of space, and how hard headed my husband is. I will keep working on him but sometimes he just needs to learn things the hard way. At some point we are going to introduce a disease, fungus or parasite and deal with the consequences. I think he will be easier to convince then. Or one day I will just arrive home with the stuff we need and he will deal with it. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice