Tons Of Question!

1. Squiggles Member Member

Hi guys! I have a couple questions about snails. :;snail:;snail:;snail

1) What online place have you had good experiences with ordering from them? (and places to avoid)
    2) Do they need to be quarantined before being put in my tank?
    3) Do they produce a significant amount of waste?
    4) As long as they are big enough, they should be fine with my goldfish, correct?
    5) I heard they breed VERY fast and will take over the tank. Is that true?
    6) What breeds of snails have you found to be hardy?

That's all I can think of for now, but I'll be sure to post again if I think of any. :p:;snail:;snail:;snail

2. Squiggles Member Member

Oh, I have a 20 gallon tank with 1 smallish fantail goldfish. No substrate. No live plants (hopefully will be getting some soon!), just fake ones. Filtered with tetra whisper filter. All ammonia/nitrite/nitrate is perfectly fine. And I don't really have algae, but I want to add a little more character to my tank. :)

So...yeah. Please tell me if it sounds fine for a snail or no. :p

3. rainman Well Known Member Member

1. I've purchased quite a few from eBay; they require next day shipping on all their live animals, sometimes this can increase the cost, but you have a better guarantee. Plus you get your little friends faster! :p

2. There's not as many transmissible diseases that pass from snail to fish in the aquarium trade, but with wild caught snails you can get Black Spot Disease from nematodes that use the snails as the intermediate host, and can infect fish.

3. A lot of it comes down to managing overfeeding, warmer water + more food = snail population/waste explosion. A good rule of thumb is 2.5 gallons per adult snail.

4. Goldfish have a tendency to play around with smaller snails if they can fit in their mouth, giving them a hiding place is a good option. Goldfish may eat under water eggs of pest snails, but won't be able to reach Apple Snail eggs, as they are laid above the water line.

5. With favorable conditions this is true, having loaches in the tank, or some assassin snails can help balance out the population. ensuring that the tank temperature isn't too high/managing feeding levels will help reduce population explosion.

6. Pond snails (mostly unfavorable), Ramshorn snails, MTS and Apple Snails are quite hardy. Parameters that have strong detrimental affect on snails include: heavy metal content (specifically copper), pH must stay above 7 long term (no swings).

A low temp of 70 will cause the metabolism of the snails to be lower, thus reducing their activity levels, breeding, and appetite. Feeding them organic blanched veggies rich in Calcium along wit sinking algae wafers is good. The gold fish me nibble at the food though inadvertently harming the snail. I would recommend using a suction cup food clip.

Good luck,
    Ryan

4. xxbyamomentx Member Member

I'm not sure what kind of snails you're interested in getting, but you definitely have room for some snails. They're all really sensitive to ammonia and nitrites, but if you've got your tank cycled and established you should be okay. Just add slowly if you plan on getting multiples, though I've added a couple at a time with no issues.

Apple snails are pretty big and there's a good chance that if you add a live plant, they'll eat it pretty much immediately. I offer my apple snails fresh vegetables and snail jello, but they still mowed down my plants first just because they knew they could. The more they eat, the more they poop...but it's pretty easy to siphon out of the tank quickly and population control really isn't a problem. When they lay their eggs, it's very obvious and you can choose how to go from there if you'd like baby snails or not.

Mystery snails are smaller than the apple snails and come in more colors, plus they won't normally eat your plants. The only time I've ever caught my mystery snail nibbling a plant leaf was when an apple snail nipped a piece loose and the little guy just happened to grab it. They lay eggs like the apple snails, so you'd be able to control or prepare for babies with these guys, too.

Nerite snails don't really seem to care about plants, veggies, or snail jello. They're more algae eaters, so I just let my single nerite run around and lick walls to his heart's content, then supplement him with a mini algae wafer every few days. He zips around like crazy, so it seems like he's getting plenty of food and energy with what he's getting. Nerite snails aren't supposed to breed in fresh water, so you should be safe there too.

The thing I love about apple snails is that since they're so big, it's very easy to see their features and antics. They're definitely full of life and everyone has their own personality. When they're eating, you can actually see their mouths open and watch their teeth go right through their food. It's an awesome thing to watch and is what really draws me to the apple snails. Their downside is that they're invasive if put out into the wild so some states have laws against them and you can't get them shipped to you from across state lines. I've found they're hard to find and picked mine up locally, so if you choose those, call around first. Good luck! :)

EDIT: As for the goldfish question, I think it's more of the personality of each fish. Some fish live peacefully with snails, and I've seen horror stories about other fish picking on snails or nipping off their cute little feelers. Plenty of people have positive experiences, but I chose to do a fishless tank so I didn't have to take the chance of separating fish and snails and needing a second aquarium setup.

5. Squiggles Member Member

I think Squiggles (my fish) wouldn't bother snails too much. He's quite laid back. I originally bought a black moor goldfish with him that was like 1/3 of his size, and he never gave him any troubles. (sadly Smidge died a week after I got him).

The reason I was asking if my tank was big enough, was because I was looking at live aquaria (a website) and it said that some of their snails needed a minimum of 30 gallons. So I wasn't sure...

6. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

What type of snails were you planning on getting? If they get really big, then

I just placed my first order from Aquatic Arts due to some recommendations on here for their service and quality. No snails in the order, just shrimp and plants.

I do want to mention, the tank temp. Snails are likely to be less active at the temp you have it for the goldfish. That will extend their lifespan, but also might not make them as fun to watch.

My nerites didn't touch supplemental food for months, and then one day, decided it was worth eating. They've now gotten very lazy and wait for food rather than doing any cleaning. Mysteries will definitely need supplemental food. We do have a mystery snail care sheet in the stickies if you decide to go that routs

7. xxbyamomentx Member Member

I use aqadvisor to help me out when I'm thinking of getting something new...their site is www.aqadvisor.com and it's SUPER customizable. You put in your tank size, your exact filter or filters, and what critters you've got in your tank. It'll also tell you if you're trying to add something that generally doesn't work out, or if a creature you're adding requires special attention for any reason. You'll get percentages for both filtration and how stocked your tank is so you can be confident you're doing right by your fish and anything you decide to add :)

8. Squiggles Member Member

Thanks for the help. I honestly have no idea how many snails I'm going to get, or what type of snails. But I'll surely keep you guys updated. :)

9. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Yep, let us know what you decide on and then we can give you more info on care :)

10. Squiggles Member Member

Okay, Thank you! :)