tons of algae

1. joe Member Member

My tank has never had algae that i could see untill about 3 weeks ago. Now the walls and the plants and objects in the tank are pretty well covered with brown algae. i just cleaned the sides last week and now they are brown again. Can someone tell me wats going on? What can i do to treat it? :-[
    Help Me Please

2. dahly Member Member

When I had an algae problem, similar to yours, I bought one clown pleco.  A couple of days after getting him, I went away for 8 days and when I returned the tank was visably algae free.  He certainly keeps the tank under control.  Rocks and leaves still get sonmewhat brown, then poof it's gone again.  The first couple of weeks he hid a lot, now I see him much of the time.  Once or twice a week I give him half an algae wafer.  Good luck, and to the algae, good riddance!   ;D

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Joe you really don't have room for anymore fish to take care of the algae ;) Usually algae grows in proportion to the nutrients available in the tank.
    Try cutting back on feeding, cut the time you leave the tank lights on by a couple of hours everyday, and do an extra water change for the next couple of weeks.Test for nitrates and if they are up make those extra water changes large ones. Hope that helps.
    Carol

4. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

the brown algae growth,(all my books say---im a bit of a fish nerd ;D ), is normal a few weeks after a tank is started up. i have a tank of a few weeks and all the plants have some on it and it is on the gravel. i went away for a few days (thats why i havent been here u guys! im behind :( ) and when i came back it was a lot better thanks to my pleco :)

5. joe Member Member

thanks for all the help guys. emma my tank has been set up for a while so i dont think thats the reason.