Tomatos and Percs and Saddlebacks and Maroons

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got a pair of saddlebacks and a pair of tomato clowns today. Unfortunately, when by the time I got home my new tanks were still not ready to be used, so I had to do something. I went to home depot and got some egg crate so that I could put the tomatos in the 75 display and the saddlebacks in the 29 gl maroon clown tank.

I thought the tomatos would be the problem, but the percs are much more aggressive. Also, the tomatos seem uninterested in staying on their side of the egg crate where the larger percs cannot get to them, so I just took that out because some of the other fish were getting annoyed that they couldn't go back and forth.

Meanwhile, I the saddlebacks are doing their best to annoy the maroons. The big maroon cannot fit through the egg crate, but the saddlebacks can. They also seem un-deterred by the maroons. I guess they never read how viscous they could be.

I just hope I can get these stupid tanks cleared of ammonia soon so that I can move them into their respective homes.

ChristineG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just read through this and will admit my ignorance---I've never heard of "tomato clowns" before. (I have much to learn.)
Do you have any question you need answered, or did you just want to share your experience with those fish and egg crate dividers? I hope it works okay until you get your tank cycled. Best wishes with your tanks.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

You might want to hold off on any future purchases until your tank is cycled. Many species do not do well at all in an uncycled tank. It's also an open invitation to stress related diseases like ich to strike and strike hard.

new_sw_gurl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yikes. That sounds like a lot of clowning around!! Hoping your cycle goes by quickly so you can get everyone to their proper respective homes!!

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It sounds like I got a bad batch of instant ocean as it shouldn't have cycled the tanks at all. There was just water and salt in a bare bottom tank. Did it quite a few times with the reef crystals and no problem. Mix the salt, get it to temperature, and put in a piece or two of mature live rock. Cycled. For some reason this particular batch is non-cooperative. The ammonia has gone way down since last night but like an idiot I can't find my nitrite test card. Maybe they're online somewhere.

No, there's no particular question here. Just passing on my experience with these particular clowns. I find it interesting that the percs and tomatos are not killing each other, and also find it interesting that the big maroon hasn't made a meal out of the saddlebacks yet. If I were them I'd be staying on my own side of the egg crate.

Edit: Later that night...

Upper tank - the 29, is doing well. No more ammonia and slight trace of nitrates. Did a 5 gallon water change - tested the water before hand and no ammonia - and put the tomatos in. They're happily swimming around now.

The lower 20L tank still has a small degree of ammonia. Not much, but enough for me not to want to put the saddlebacks in there yet. I'm not one for cycling with fish. Not too finicky if the tank is just about done cycling, but not while there's still ammonia.

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So...since this experience I went to TFP and got myself a 29gl and a 20L, along with two stands. This allowed me to stack the tanks on top of each other.

While there I couldn't resist getting myself two red saddlebacks and two allard's clowns. Since the tanks weren't set up I bought a 20L divider and put the allards in the 20L split with the two black saddlebacks, and I put the red saddlebacks in my refugium. Set up one 29 gl tank and moved my maroons into it, using 2/3 the water from their old tank and the remainder with fresh saltwater.

Put the new 20L below it, took the water from the 10gl black occelaris tank in there along with ten gallons of fresh Saltwater. When the temp was good I put ocellaris in there. along with a powerhead, a submersible filter, and some mature live rock. The next day I got the second set of 29 gallon tanks set up. The one matured quickly because and I put the Allard's in there. They are happy. The other one took all night to become stable, then I put the red saddlebacks in there. Then I took the divider and put it in the 20L with the black ocellaris and put the two perculas that were in a ten gl in there. As a test I took the divider out and was surprised to find that they are all getting along with each other.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom