Today's Project: Substrate Change!

apple429

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So today I will be doing a substrate change on my 20 gallon tall tank. I will be taking NUMEROUS pictures! I am hoping to do this under two hours, think it will work??? lol!

James95

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It shouldn't take too long. Watch out for a minI cycle in the week following your substrate change.

I can't wait to see before and after pics!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if you can, leave the "old" subtrate handing in the back of the tank in a clean unused nylon for a couple weeks...that should help not having a minI cycle good luck!

OP
apple429

apple429

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
James95 said:
It shouldn't take too long. Watch out for a minI cycle in the week following your substrate change.

I can't wait to see before and after pics!
Thanks for the advice, I forgot about the before and after pics... LOL

Shawnie said:
if you can, leave the "old" subtrate handing in the back of the tank in a clean unused nylon for a couple weeks...that should help not having a minI cycle good luck!
Double thanks!! I am using about three pounds (or more) of "precycled" sand, would/ should I still hang the old substrate (gravel) or will I be okay?

James95

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You're welcome.
I would still hang the old substrate. I've used the pre cycled gravel and it made no difference in tank cycling.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
apple429 said:
Double thanks!! I am using about three pounds (or more) of "precycled" sand, would/ should I still hang the old substrate (gravel) or will I be okay?
James95 said:
You're welcome.
I would still hand the old substrate. I've used the pre cycled gravel and it made no difference in tank cycling.
I agree...never had ANY luck with the pre cycled subtrates...id hang the old gravel in the tank

OP
apple429

apple429

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
okay, by "precycled" I mean from one of my own tanks, not the store bought... just wanted to clarify that... so should I still hang?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
apple429 said:
okay, by "precycled" I mean from one of my own tanks, not the store bought... just wanted to clarify that... so should I still hang?
OH!!! so you are using one subtrate from another tank? that does make a difference if the previous has been cycled awhile...and as long as your bioload is similar in both tanks, you should be ok for a change out sorry

James95

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ah, I thought you meant store bought

If it's from another tank than you should be okay. Especially if the bioloads are similar.

OP
apple429

apple429

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Shawnie said:
OH!!! so you are using one subtrate from another tank? that does make a difference if the previous has been cycled awhile...and as long as your bioload is similar in both tanks, you should be ok for a change out sorry
yes... params are the same, just a different tank size, and the bio load is small...

just four danios, and fry in a breeder net which is cleaned daily!

OP
apple429

apple429

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
James95 said:

If it's from another tank than you should be okay. Especially if the bioloads are similar.
Ya, sorry for the confusion, I thought about that as soon as I posted!!! lol

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
James95 said:

so did I

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've never saved the old substrate when doing a change and I've never had an issue. However, it's dependent on the filtration. If the tank is under filtered, then it won't have the capacity to support a larger bacteria colony which will result in water quality issues. The bacteria is one of the slowest growing on the planet, doubling in size in 24 hours. So this is what it comes down to - Is the colony in the filter larger than the colony in the substrate, and is there enough media in the filter to support the colony doubling in size.

Any time you mess with the filtration of the tank, it's a good idea to dose with prime (or whatever) and fast the fish. It's easy enough not to feed them, which will help the tank balance out. The last thing you want to do when there is the potential of compromising the bacteria colonies is feed the fish.

OP
apple429

apple429

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a penguin 200 HOB filter... good? or should I be worried... I keep 1 filter cartridge in the back for extra bio-media...

RTBS

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Penguin 200 in a 20gal tank... That's perfect...

OP
apple429

apple429

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry I didn't post yesterday, it was a really bad. However, it started out perfectly... I went to my lfs, got credit on my panda cories, then went to a pool store and got sand... 50 lbs. for $12.50... cleaned my sand, took my fish out, and the old substrate... scrubbed the tank... and prepped the sand. started to fill the tank, but wait, NO HOT WATER!!!! I had to wait an hour for the water to heat up again... then, after my water problems, I got the fish back in the tank, filled it up some more... and plugged in the filter... ah man... my filter doesn't work... so I had to kill another 45 min to get a new filter(smae kind) and salvage what I can.... anyways, that's why I haven't posted yet, I will post the pictures tomorrow... and hope that my tank doesn't recycle... luckily everyone seems to be doing good, so there is still hope...

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry I didn't post either, cause I would have said how much I dislike the penguins, and maybe you would have gotten a different filter

sounds like you handled the snags well.

OP
apple429

apple429

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
what's wrong with the penguins??

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had 4 or 5 and they were all noisy, and the biowheel is just about useless because of the design.

OP
apple429

apple429

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have heard that... sadly I ordered 6 months worth of filters, and they won't fit anywhere else... so I just bought a new one... lol

New Threads