Today's Project: Substrate Change!

1. apple429 Well Known Member Member

So today I will be doing a substrate change on my 20g tall tank. I will be taking NUMEROUS pictures! I am hoping to do this under two hours, think it will work??? lol!

2. James95 Well Known Member Member

It shouldn't take too long. Watch out for a mini cycle in the week following your substrate change.

I can't wait to see before and after pics!

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

if you can, leave the "old" subtrate handing in the back of the tank in a clean unused nylon for a couple weeks...that should help not having a mini cycle :) good luck!

4. apple429 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the advice, I forgot about the before and after pics... LOL

Double thanks!! I am using about three pounds (or more) of "precycled" sand, would/ should I still hang the old substrate (gravel) or will I be okay?

5. James95 Well Known Member Member

You're welcome.
    I would still hang the old substrate. I've used the pre cycled gravel and it made no difference in tank cycling.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I agree...never had ANY luck with the pre cycled subtrates...id hang the old gravel in the tank

7. apple429 Well Known Member Member

okay, by "precycled" I mean from one of my own tanks, not the store bought... just wanted to clarify that... so should I still hang?

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

OH!!! so you are using one subtrate from another tank? that does make a difference if the previous has been cycled awhile...and as long as your bioload is similar in both tanks, you should be ok for a change out :) sorry

9. James95 Well Known Member Member

ah, I thought you meant store bought :;smack

If it's from another tank than you should be okay. Especially if the bioloads are similar.

10. apple429 Well Known Member Member

yes... params are the same, just a different tank size, and the bio load is small...

just four danios, and fry in a breeder net which is cleaned daily!

11. apple429 Well Known Member Member

Ya, sorry for the confusion, I thought about that as soon as I posted!!! lol

12. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

so did I :rolleyes:

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I've never saved the old substrate when doing a change and I've never had an issue. However, it's dependent on the filtration. If the tank is under filtered, then it won't have the capacity to support a larger bacteria colony which will result in water quality issues. The bacteria is one of the slowest growing on the planet, doubling in size in 24 hours. So this is what it comes down to - Is the colony in the filter larger than the colony in the substrate, and is there enough media in the filter to support the colony doubling in size.

Any time you mess with the filtration of the tank, it's a good idea to dose with prime (or whatever) and fast the fish. It's easy enough not to feed them, which will help the tank balance out. The last thing you want to do when there is the potential of compromising the bacteria colonies is feed the fish.

14. apple429 Well Known Member Member

I have a penguin 200 HOB filter... good? or should I be worried... I keep 1 filter cartridge in the back for extra bio-media...

15. RTBS Member Member

Penguin 200 in a 20gal tank... That's perfect...

16. apple429 Well Known Member Member

Sorry I didn't post yesterday, it was a really bad. However, it started out perfectly... I went to my lfs, got credit on my panda cories, then went to a pool store and got sand... 50 lbs. for $12.50... cleaned my sand, took my fish out, and the old substrate... scrubbed the tank... and prepped the sand. started to fill the tank, but wait, NO HOT WATER!!!! I had to wait an hour for the water to heat up again... then, after my water problems, I got the fish back in the tank, filled it up some more... and plugged in the filter... ah man... my filter doesn't work... so I had to kill another 45 min to get a new filter(smae kind) and salvage what I can.... anyways, thats why I haven't posted yet, I will post the pictures tomorrow... and hope that my tank doesn't recycle... luckily everyone seems to be doing good, so there is still hope...

17. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry I didn't post either, cause I would have said how much I dislike the penguins, and maybe you would have gotten a different filter ;)

sounds like you handled the snags well.

18. apple429 Well Known Member Member

what's wrong with the penguins??

19. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I had 4 or 5 and they were all noisy, and the biowheel is just about useless because of the design.

20. apple429 Well Known Member Member

I have heard that... sadly I ordered 6 months worth of filters, and they won't fit anywhere else... so I just bought a new one... lol