Today's haul of equipment

1. EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Well took another trip to retrieve aquarium equipment out of storage earlier today...

This is what I got in today's haul:

37 gallon high aquarium
    200W submersible heater (unopened)
    2 22" dual bulb T5HO light fixtures
    16" piece of driftwood
    1 small specimen container
    2 nets
    Hikari 1st Bites fry food (unopened)
    1 large air pump
    1 air control valve
    4 air stones
    1 liter bottle of activated carbon
    4 replacement filter cartridges for large marineland filters
    8 ft of silicon airline tubing
    Medium sized gravel vacuum
    A large hardcover book about aquarium diseases
    1 small tube of aquarium silicon
    3 filter media bags
    1 small piece of red slate

And a small group of TFH magazines

Man I love going on these storage runs!

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

That's quite a haul! :)

3. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

So whats going in it :)

4. k9z3boys Member Member

you hit the jackpot!!

5. EricV Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not sure yet.

I have a few ideas but its an awkward size to work with for me at this time.

While my most immediate need is for some more tanks to expand my shrimp colonies, a 37 is a lot to devote to a single type of shrimp.

It's also too large of a tank to use as a grow-out tank for my killifish. While they'd certainly appreciate the space it makes feeding time more difficult to control.

Right now I'm leaning towards using it to breed another type of fish such as scarlet badis but I'm not totally sold on that yet.

6. sbdzx Member Member

Wow, I wish I'd find something like that in my basement or crawl space!

I don't know what other tanks/fish you have, but maybe a simple community? Maybe that's too simple. If there was a particular species you liked, you could use it as a species tank. And then you could get some small schooling fish or dither fish or something to fill out the layers of the tank that the main species wouldn't swim in. Maybe this is crazy, but if you've ever considered getting into saltwater (if you have, sorry, I don't see it in your profile), a 37 gal. seems like an OK size for saltwater. I'm sure you'll do something great with it!

7. EricV Fishlore VIP Member

While it would definitely make a nice display/community tank I don't think I'll be going that route.

For one, using it as a display tank would mean a sizable investment in a stand as well as aquascaping whereas incorporating it into my breeding business in some form doesn't cost a thing and should in fact make me money. :)
    Secondly, I simply enjoy breeding too much to do community tanks these days. A well aquascaped and planted community tank is definitely nice but it takes a large tank away from my other projects. Besides I still have a 75 gallon corner bow front tank with a stand and canister filter sitting in storage that I haven't retrieved yet that I'd rather use for a large community project.

As for the saltwater angle I have run a few in the past and have considered getting back into that side of the hobby recently. However the dimensions of a 37H aren't what I'd consider ideal for what I'm looking to do on the saltwater side. A shorter, wider tank would be better for the coral propagation I'd like to get into as it would make lighting and controlling water flow easier.

Not bad ideas but I'll probably end up using it as a breeding tank of some sort. I can give it a kind of minimalist decor with sand and/or river pebbles and a carpet of contortion vals and get it established with some MTS and snails from my other tanks as well as some other microfauna while the vals grow in and decide what exactly I want to breed in there.

8. EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Haha so I realized today that I had forgotten to unload a box from that last storage run...

Inside:

1 marineland HOT magnum canister filter
    and
    1 marineland penguin 150 HOB filter

:)

9. dakota Member Member

Congrads on that haul. I have been to a fwe of those and never seen anything like that. I guess everybody needs to head for PA HaHa. Good job. Thanks

Clean Water = Happy Healthy Fish

10. sbdzx Member Member

Your 75 gal. corner bowfront sounds like a much more attractive community tank. Good luck with your new fish breeding project!