Help To Water Change Or Not To Water Change

Spulvert

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So lets say i reversed my cycle some how AFTER i put fish in it. My ammonia is just a around .25 ppm - .50 ppm. I've been keeping up with water changes DAILY. a 25% - 30% water change every single morning and i'll test again at night and fear would cause me to do yet another water change. My concern and questions are, Am I changing my water so much that could be hindering my beneficial bacteria from growing? I know they attach to surface area so i figured it'd be fine. Its a 40 gallon high with 2 parkinsons rainbowfish and 3 corydoras (i will put more in once i get this mess settled) I'm also dosing with prime and stability each water change. My fish have been healthy and happy so far but how long do i have to keep this up before my BB establishes. What are my steps to success? I've read somewhere that i should water change and does prime every other day. Thanks for your time!

nbalaw2016

Valued Member
Reaction score
What do you mean you've reversed your cycle after putting fish in?

If I'm reading your post correctly, you're changing 40-60% of the water daily (2x 20-30% changes a day)? I think that's unnecessary, especially if you are dosing with prime every 48 hours.

Spulvert

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I hate to admit it but I overcleaned. I've been laying off of the nightly changes so 20-30% every morning. So what would be a better course of action? I'd also like to point out when i do these water changes the only thing i do is gravel vac and every week i lightly clean the sponge i have on my HOB intake in a bucket of tank water.

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What are the parameters of the water you are using for the WC ? You don’t have many fish to cause the ammonia to rise so quickly overnight. Maybe don’t clean the sponge so often.

Spulvert

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What are the parameters of the water you are using for the WC ? You don’t have many fish to cause the ammonia to rise so quickly overnight. Maybe don’t clean the sponge so often.
Ph is 7.5 and that's about it, I've only tested my tap for nitrate but I've never tested it for ammonia, could be possible now that I think about it, I'll test immediately

andrearamirezo91

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you did a fishless cycle it might just be a mini cycle due to the new bioload in your tank. When my tank was cycling I used Prime every day. It detoxifies ammonia for approximately 24 hours. I was able to go through the whole cycle with my fish completely unaffected.

Spulvert

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you did a fishless cycle it might just be a mini cycle due to the new bioload in your tank. When my tank was cycling I used Prime every day. It detoxifies ammonia for approximately 24 hours. I was able to go through the whole cycle with my fish completely unaffected.
Thank you! How often would you water change?

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't change water based on a schedule. Change water based on what your test reading are. That will be much more effective and much simpler.

Combine the levels of ammonia and nitrites, and keep the levels at 1 ppm or below. Your fish will be fine, and there will be enough food for the bacteria to reproduce.

Once ammonia and nitrites are at zero, keep nitrates at around 20 ppm or below. At that point you'll be able to set a schedule and test less frequently.

I hate to admit it but I overcleaned. I've been laying off of the nightly changes so 20-30% every morning. So what would be a better course of action? I'd also like to point out when i do these water changes the only thing i do is gravel vac and every week i lightly clean the sponge i have on my HOB intake in a bucket of tank water.
Don't apologize. I've done the exact same thing. It's great that you tested the water so you saw the issue and took immediate steps to take care of it.

Spulvert

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Don't change water based on a schedule. Change water based on what your test reading are. That will be much more effective and much simpler.

Combine the levels of ammonia and nitrites, and keep the levels at 1 ppm or below. Your fish will be fine, and there will be enough food for the bacteria to reproduce.

Once ammonia and nitrites are at zero, keep nitrates at around 20 ppm or below. At that point you'll be able to set a schedule and test less frequently.

Don't apologize. I've done the exact same thing. It's great that you tested the water so you saw the issue and took immediate steps to take care of it.
Thank you! Very helpful. Yeah I was scared to admit my mistake, I just want the absolute best for my fish

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom