To Void or not to void that is the question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Red1313, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Ok so I've been having laptop troubles (mostly over heating and possible virus concerns). It over heated and shut down on me again today, and now I'm losing my patience. It's a refurbished laptop and with the place I bought it from I have warranty until August. However called them and it'll be 2-3 WEEKS before they can even get it into the shop to look at it. I called another repair place in town and they said if I bring it in today I'll probably have it back by Saturday.

Now I wouldn't be in quite this big a debacle except that this is my only computer and I have two major group projects due in the next two weeks than finals start after that. So I've had this refurbished laptop for almost 2 years and have 5 months of warranty left on it. So the question remains.
    Take it in and get in fixed and void the warranty, or leave it and hope that all this over-heating isn't doing permanent damage...

Frustrating doesn't even begin to cover this...

2. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

This isn't an HP DV6000 is it?

3. OP
    OP
    Red1313

Nope Gateway :p

4. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Oh Yea, I have an HP DV series 9000 Wide Screen laptop....nothing but trouble overheating until the waranty ran out (sent it back 3 times for repairs)....then I had to pay $200 (after waranty) and bing, bang, boom...they fixed it!!!! Hasn't failed in months now!!!

5. OP
    OP
    Red1313

Well after talking with my parents it sounds like rather then voiding the warrenty on this one (we paid 200 to have it extended anyway) I'm going to be looking into picking up a 2nd computer, though what exactly, desktop, net book, or another laptop we'll see...

6. D

David C Well Known Member Member

If the problem is overheating, have you thought about getting a cooling pad for it? They have those nice fan pads that are supposed to work wonders on cooling. Might be worth the trouble and probably do the trick.

Dave

7. outlaw

1. What model?
    2. Does the fan/s spin?
    3. Try cleaning out air vents with compressed air?
    4. Try installing a temp monitor to see if it is actually overheating or maybe something else (unless you are getting an alert stating its overheating)?

Link to one:  . This is just one of many out there. Do not take this as an exact temp but more of a reference and something to give you more information for troubleshooting.

If you need it fixed now to have quickest turn around, ask the shop that said they could have done by Sat what their warranty is on the work they do.

You definitely don't want it to keep overheating, it will just cause more hardware failure and instability.

TedsTank- yeah, there was a big problem for a while with HP 6 and 9 series laptops overheating. They claimed a bios flash would fix. Actual issue is the motherboard. The problem wipes out wireless, sound, and most important: turning on.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  8. OP
    OP
    Red1313

1. W35O5
    2. It makes noise and most of the heat comes out the side where most of the noise is... I assume the noise is the fan.
    3. Don't have any compressed air.
    4. Can't figure out how to find out where it reports that after the crash... there is no warning, sometimes things get slow/freeze just before it happens but usually the screen just goes back and all is silent.

9. outlaw

1. All I could find were W350, W3501, W350A and W350I

2. Is it Windows XP, Vista, 7? older?

10. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Red, did you ever clean the cooling element that was suggested when you were having problems before?

Mine was over heating, shutting down, programs were not responding. A simple cleaning of the dust resolved it for me.

11. OP
    OP
    Red1313

Outlaw: It's W350A sorry typo :p And Windows Vista.
    Lucy: I tried and it worked for a little bit but it's back at it again, I'll see if I can pick up a can of air again today and see if I can do it again.

12. outlaw

It's amazing how much dust will build up in them. When I pulled my HP apart (yes, my laptop was in pieces. Actually, it still is), the heatsink was caked with dust and made a mess when I cleaned it off.

Red- NP, that's why I double checked, thought maybe it wouldn't come up for some odd reason. Easy fix in a search though. :D

*update*
    Viewing event viewer in Vista:

*yet another update*
    Found the specs of your laptop. With that AMD processor, they are known to run warm in laptops, their desktops are the opposite when compared to Intel. If the fan is starting to go or the heatsink wasn't cleaned enough the last time you had to do it, it will overheat fairly quick.

OE Specs if anybody needs them:
    Processor AMD Turion 64
    CPU Speed 1.9 GHz
    Hard Drive 160 GB
    Memory 768 MB
    Screen Size 14"

13. OP
    OP
    Red1313

thanks for the "how to" outlaw but I don't know what any of that means :p
    Nothing jumps up saying, the system crashed here's why rofl

14. outlaw

Your main concern in the Event Viewer is "Application" and "System". Look for the yellow exclamation points and red x's. A lot of the yellow exclamation points are nothing to worry about though, even some of the red x's.

note if there are a lot of the same errors. Example: yellow exclamation- microsoft fax, red x- MsiInstaller. See if there is a pattern with them.

To sort and make it easier to view, click Type at the top and it will group them with the like symbols. The most common we see here at work is the red x with "disk" under the Source tab.

Can always post a screen shot of it too :D

15. OP
    OP
    Red1313

Ok so I bought a can of air and opened the two access panels on that back of my lap top. Basically no dust at all in them. I suspect that opening up the entire thing is the only way to get into the actual heat sink and I don't want to do that. It seems to have helped some but it was only 15 minuets ago so we'll see.

Here's a screen shot of what I see when I open that event viewer, no x's of ! in it...

P.S. I did copy and paste becuase I couldn't get all of the one screen that I thought was relevant to show all the way

Attached Files:

16. outlaw

In the top 'Summary of Administrative Events'. Can you open the 'Errors' and 'Warnings' to see if there is anything?

With the canned air, did you try blowing directly into the vent holes?

17. OP
    OP
    Red1313

There's been 18 errors in the last 24 hours but none of them have any sort of symbol. Same thing for the warning except that there's been 20 of them.
    <shrug>
    I'm not really sure what I'm expecting to see...

18. outlaw

That was my mistake then. I thought some of it would have still been the same as xp. Can you take screenshots of the list of warnings and errors? I'm assuming they don't have the symbols because of the way they have them sorted in your screenshot above.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice