To Venturi Or Not To Venturi ?

Cait73
Member
HI everyone, I'm having a bit of a debate regarding the VenturI option on my Fluval F4.

Now, I don't really like the way that the tiny bubbles make the water look like there's bits floating round the tank. I'm aware that its the agitation of the surface that produces the oxygen, but I removed the venturI last night but didn't think that with out it the surface wasn't moving enough. So I got a little scared and worried and put it back! Hubby said it was fine but I'm not convinced. His view was that as you could see the current moving under the surface it was ok.

I've never used a venturI before, all my other tanks in the past have had a Fluval and a directional powerhead too and I've never ad a problem.


Id love some advice on this, I do have a wave maker, but I don't use it at the min. If I use this, would it upset the water current too much ? I bought the wave maker to help with a dead spot I have.

Thank you for any help
 
Mihai Boldor
Member
If you want to use bubbles to get water surface movement you could use a old fashion airstone and a air pump. Personally I never used the venturI features on any filter because it is loud and it really fills the tank with micro bubbles.
 
  • Thread Starter
Cait73
Member
MihaI Boldor said:
If you want to use bubbles to get water surface movement you could use a old fashion airstone and a air pump. Personally I never used the venturI features on any filter because it is loud and it really fills the tank with micro bubbles.
Thanks MihaI Boldor, id rather not have the tank filled with the tiny bubbles ! Air stones are way to loud ! I'm wondering if I could remove the venturI and then move the filter up a bit so the agitation is more sort of right on the surface, if that makes sense?
 
Mihai Boldor
Member
It makes perfect sense and you definitely do that
 
  • Thread Starter
Cait73
Member
Ahhh, can't move it up enough. The brace is in the way ! Back to the drawing board !!
 
NavigatorBlack
Member
You didn't share the most important info - what fish?

I use a venturI full on for any of my rapids origin fish. If a species comes from the edge of whitewater or rapids, riffles or even lakes where waves roll over, it is going to appreciate the extra oxygen in the water.

I'd never use the venturI feature with my Cichlids from reed beds in lakes, or with a swamp origin species. You have to use the technology for the benefit of these creatures we have uprooted and brought into tanks. A venturI can be great for one species, and awful for another.
 
  • Thread Starter
Cait73
Member
NavigatorBlack said:
You didn't share the most important info - what fish?

I use a venturI full on for any of my rapids origin fish. If a species comes from the edge of whitewater or rapids, riffles or even lakes where waves roll over, it is going to appreciate the extra oxygen in the water.

I'd never use the venturI feature with my Cichlids from reed beds in lakes, or with a swamp origin species. You have to use the technology for the benefit of these creatures we have uprooted and brought into tanks. A venturI can be great for one species, and awful for another.
I have Panda Garra s, White cloud mountain minnows, Celestial pearl danios, corys , ottos and Rainbow threadfins. The main prob I have is I can't raise the filter further up the tank ( which would solve my problem ) because of the brace.
 
NavigatorBlack
Member
The only real current lover there is the Otocinclus. All the others are fine with a flow, but none need the venturI option. The Otos may like it, but are fine as long as the water moves.
 
  • Thread Starter
Cait73
Member
NavigatorBlack said:
The only real current lover there is the Otocinclus. All the others are fine with a flow, but none need the venturI option. The Otos may like it, but are fine as long as the water moves.
Thank you, NavigatorBlack, I don't want the ventutI on. However, unless it is on, the surface doesn't get agitated enough as I can't place the filter any closer to the surface of the water because of the brace.
 
NavigatorBlack
Member
I'm sure it moves enough to break the surface tension. I like the venturI look, so I run it where I can. But if you don't, it would be good.
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom