To treat or not treat

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi everyone

So yesterday I lost a platy in my tank after doing a water change the day before. She hadn't been acting weird or anything but she died, who knows what was wrong. Today I did another water change (since I dind't know what was wrong with her, tho my levels are all good). I noticed yesterday that my other platy was doing a shimmy thing while swimming and her fins were clamped. I also noticed she has what appears to be ick. However, upon scooping her, most of these little sand/salt looking things came off, with just a few sticking to the top of her head. Here is my issue, I have catfish in the tank so treating w/ medication or heat is a little iffy for them. I went ahead and bought some ick stuff that says to use a half dose for catfish. My issue is that after doing this water change more of her little spots came off tho some remain. I have a sand substrate, so I'm wondering if she's just got some sand stuck to her from the water change, and I'm just worried if I go ahead and treat the tank for ick I might hurt the other fish. I have a Q tank I could set up, but not any extra filter material to put into it so that tank would start to cycle with her in it which is no good either. Not to mention if she's been in the tank w/ the other fish it's already got ick in it as well. I've been trying to get a pic of her to show but she doesn't hold still long enough and is skittish to begin with. What's your guys advice? Go ahead and treat or not? On top of it this is a newly cycled tank (been running since Feb but the water has only been testing normal for about a week, finally had to add TSS to it two weeks ago stuff worked great) and it kills me to medicate and kill all my good bacteria. Help me out guys!

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you think it is ich, I would try raising the water temperature, rather than treating with medication.

You could always put the catfish in the Q-Tank so the high temos do not affect them (assuming they do not have ich). I think in you case with the Q-Tank, it might be a good time to use "Cycle". The bacteria in "Cycle" is not self sustaining, but since it is a temporary tank it won't really matter. You will just need to add the "Cycle" regularly until you break down the tank, which should only be a couple of weeks.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with Meenu. I would only use meds if your start losing more fish and it becomes a serious problem. Your fish are probably stressed enough from the ICK and meds will only stress them more.

Be patient and leave your temp raised for two for weeks and gravel vacuums every two or three days.

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks everyone, I went ahead and raised the temps and did the vaccum. She is still the only fish w/ spots so that's good, but she is doing the shimmy thing less so thats good at least! Everyone still has a good appetite and is active so that's great!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Good luck, BritJo. I treated a tank for ich with meds several years ago and had a 100% fatality rate. I wish I'd known about this method back then.

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well just a quick update...Pomfrey, my platy who was covered in ich, died last night. I sort of expected it because I think i caught it to late...I've also started adding meds to the tank. Today I noticed that Sprout, my other platy has a couple spots, very mild but I'm sure it's going to get worse before it gets better. I'm just very saddened by this. I can't really tell if the catfish have it or not because they are albino, but their behavior has stayed the same though they are a little less active, probably due to the warmer water. They always seem more active when the water is a little cooler. I'm continuing to treat and hoping that Sprout will not get it as bad. I just don't havea good feeling about this.

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Update

Just wanted to update. Everyone is clear of spots, the catfish are still very active and seem very happy (they love water changes so the daily changes have made them happy campers lol). I'm still treating through the weekend which will put me at two weeks of treatment which seems to be pretty normal for ich. However, Sprout my platy, seemed fine all through treatment but now she has been hiding near the bottom of the tank. She is still eating but just seems lethargic. I'll be so upset if she dies after going through all this treatment! I'm thinking she might be pregnant but I can't really tell(if she is pregnant she's been holding sperm for a month, which I know can happen w/ platys). Anyone experience this? Any ideas on what to do for the poor thing?

I should note that I've set my tank into a mini cycle, though nothing has gone over .25 ppm. Ammonia is usually 0 to .25 when I test each morning, nitrite the same I haven't tested for nitrate in a few days. Anyone know how long this mini cycle might last? I'd love to pick up some safe start again, but it's such a pain to find around here!

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good to hear your fish are doing better.

As for the ammonia, you might grab a bottle of Prime or AmQuel to use during water changes. Those will help detoxify the ammonia in your tank until things get back to normal.

When I had ICK in my tank, one of my Mollies resembled what your Platy is doing. Unfortunately, I think she was too stressed by all the commotion over the past couple of weeks and she didn't make it. If I were you, I'd just try to keep her as calm as possible. If you can provide her with a hiding place, they could help keep her stress low.

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well she perks up after water changes and of course at feedings...and I did put plants back in so I hope that helps her! She's been hiding out under the bubble wall and occasionally swimming through the bubbles like she had been doing before the ick. I hope she pulls through, I only lost two fish so I was grateful for that. This little girl is my newest, she caught the ick right after I brought her home (hadn't noticed the two platys already had it...I know bad fish mom). She's been the only platy for like 3 days now, do you think she might be lonely? I don't want to get a new fish before I get through this mini cylce (bought some tetra safe start so I could probably get one more fish if I need to) but I also know they like to have company.

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ty aquarist. I was wondering where it went lol.

I've decided to stop medicating and low and behold ALL of the fish are much more active, Sprout has unclamped her gills and is showing no signs of ich (nor are the other fish). Just felt that the medicine was doing more harm than good. Question is when should I add my safe start?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom