To Treat Or Not To Treat For Ick

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Quarantine' started by Javnapp, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Javnapp

JavnappNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    We bought 4 silver dollars today. One of the silver dollars in the tank at the store appeared to have ick. No other fish in the tank seem visibly affected.
    We have the new 4 currently in our quarentine tank. We did not add the water that came with them into the quarantine tank. No one is showing any symptoms at this time.
    Should we treat them for ick even though they are not showing any symptoms? Is there any contraindications for treating apparently healthy fish?

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,524
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Bump the temp up to 86 - 87 degrees. Increase the aeration. Keep the heat on for 10 days. (No salt). Be looking for symptoms. Silver Dollars are notorious Ick magnets. Probably no worries.

3. OP
    OP
    Javnapp

JavnappNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Over night update!!! All the new silver dollars are sitting on the bottom of the tank barely moving. I read I completely did the acclimate process wrong. (I'll never do that again) The had a 45 car ride and 20min soak and did not check the store Waters parameters or mix water in bag before removing fish. my QT tank is 10g have a filter and air stone, heater, water has slightly white haze.
    The 4 fish are not together. Barely swimming sitting on the bottom. Can they be just stressed out? What can I do?

The QT tank water is
    NO3@5.0
    NO2@0
    GH@35.8
    KH@35.8
    PH@7.2
    AMMONIA@ 0 maybe .25 hard to see the color
    TEMP@83

4. A201

Ratings:
    +1,524
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Change out half the water. Make sure the new water matches the temp of the tank water. Use Prime water conditioner. It temporarily neutralizes ammonia. Keep the lights off. Don't try to feed them until they begin to swim normally.

5. OP
    OP
    Javnapp

JavnappNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Ok,I have to use RO water because our well water has very high NO3. I have to heat the water to 83 and slowly add new. Should I Prime just the new water 5gallon .5ml or dose for the 10gallon tank 1ml?

6. A201

Ratings:
    +1,524
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Just dose Prime for the five gallons. How high is the nitrate level of the well water?

7. OP
    OP
    Javnapp

JavnappNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    80ppm . Can't use it for drinking or cooking, we have a high dollar RO system next to our sink that has a spout and it's hooked up to the refrigerator for ice and drinking water. And I have a RO on the 75 gallon with float valve.

8. A201

Ratings:
    +1,524
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Wow, that is high. Must be close to some big agricultural operations. Good luck with the SD's.

9. OP
    OP
    Javnapp

JavnappNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Yes from Delaware surrounded by farms and chicken farms. On the SD issue one died two are about to and the 3 I dont have high hopes for. I did something terribly wrong. Will have to start new QT tank. I used the water from my 75, I thought that's what you do. Or I just shocked the **** outta them

10. A201

Ratings:
    +1,524
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Find out what the water parameters are at your fish store. There are probably big differences between their water and yours.

11. GuppyDazzle

GuppyDazzleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +696
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you see ich on one fish, the entire tank is infested. Most of the life cycle of ich is invisible. Once you see white spots, the ich has been and still is present in the tank, and the fish have been attacked by the parasite for some time. Also, ich will attack the gills, and will be present whether you can see white spots or not.

Ich can be treated by the temperature method, salt method, or medication. Which method you should use depends on your fish. Some fish are more sensitive to temperature changes, salt is bad for plants, etc. Resist the temptation to combine methods. That won't solve the problem any faster, but it will double or triple the stress.

Don't stop treating when the white spots fall off. There is ich present in the water column for several days after you can't see it any more.