To Tang Or Not To Tang

zeeter

I have a Powder Blue Tang and a Scopas Tang. They seem to get along. The Powder Tang tends to swim around all day while the Scopas hangs in the back, but during feeding time I've seen the Scopas actually take food out of the Powder's mouth. Once in a while there will be an incident - but only when Scopy decides he's going to violate Powder's cave.

Anyway, I like Tangs. I'd like to get a new one, but first I want to make sure they are compatible; I read that scopas tangs don't get along with any tangs of the same genus, and I'm not sure about the Powder Blue. He was introduced after Scopy and is about an inch bigger which is why they get along, probably. I don't want to get a tang that's even bigger than Powder just for compatibility reasons.

What do you guys recommend?

Naeusu

I think you have one tang too many. The only reason your scopas isn't constantly harrassing the blue is because he's bigger. If you introduce any other tang in that tank your scopas will go after him. The blue might go after him but they're a more peaceful kind of tang. In any case, if it works now, why mess with it?

Stang Man

zeeter said:
I have a Powder Blue Tang and a Scopas Tang. They seem to get along. The Powder Tang tends to swim around all day while the Scopas hangs in the back, but during feeding time I've seen the Scopas actually take food out of the Powder's mouth. Once in a while there will be an incident - but only when Scopy decides he's going to violate Powder's cave.

Anyway, I like Tangs. I'd like to get a new one, but first I want to make sure they are compatible; I read that scopas tangs don't get along with any tangs of the same genus, and I'm not sure about the Powder Blue. He was introduced after Scopy and is about an inch bigger which is why they get along, probably. I don't want to get a tang that's even bigger than Powder just for compatibility reasons.

What do you guys recommend?
What size tank do you have?

zeeter

75 gallon. The PBT got a little too aggressive over the past couple of weeks. The only fish I would ever see were the chromis and yellow headed gobie. Any time another fish wanted to make an appearance the PBT would swim over and swing his tail at it. Sadly, I had to trade him in.
Since then I've gotten a midnight pygmy angel, three blue reef chromis, and an awesome tribal blenny. Everyone is in harmony now; even the clowns come out and swim around the tank, though they are still a bit skittish.

locoyo386

zeeter said:
75 gallon. The PBT got a little too aggressive over the past couple of weeks. The only fish I would ever see were the chromis and yellow headed gobie. Any time another fish wanted to make an appearance the PBT would swim over and swing his tail at it. Sadly, I had to trade him in.
Since then I've gotten a midnight pygmy angel, three blue reef chromis, and an awesome tribal blenny. Everyone is in harmony now; even the clowns come out and swim around the tank, though they are still a bit skittish.
Yeah, the PBT are very agressive. You might get away with the Powder Brown. How long has the Scopas bein in the tank? If it's been a while since you added it to the tank, than most likely you will not be able to add another tang to the tank, unless it is a bigger tang.

Stang Man

You made the right call! It's better to stay with just one tang and not several!!

zeeter

Old thread, but just as an update I traded the scopas in for a yellow tang. Scopy was ok, but he's just boring. Greyish-brown - doesn't add a lot of color to the tank. The aforementioned reef chromis and midnight angel all died of ich a few months ago. My guess is the angel brought it in with him because I bought him at a place I don't know. The chromis were new and possibly stressed, allowing the ich to grow.

With the yellow tang and two orange anthias that I bought I now have a lot more color in there.

angel_scout

SOrry bout yopur angel and chromis

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom