• No, never

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Or care to explain and alternate?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LouPey

I have an Aqua one moray 700 filter which is a sort of modular internal filter with swappable compartments (one for mechanical sponge, one with ceramic beads and one for carbon).

It is time to change the carbon one (it's been about 7 weeks since its last change) and I've been toying with the idea of removing it for good. Or at least most of the time and having a back up kicking about just in case.

I have shrimp so I need clean water but I also use almond leaves so I would like some of the tannins to actually stay in the water. And I use ferts for my load of plants.

So I am keen to hear your thoughts and what you do!

fallfever

I have multiple tanks and haven't used carbon in years, aside from the few times I need to add medication or have clarity issues with the water. I just keep it handy just in case. And I certainly don't use cartridges or inserts. I love my filter floss, sponges and media balls

YellowGuppy

If you've got some in your possession hold onto it just in case you ever need it, but for much of the time, you'll never need it! Especially with IAL and fertilizers, you're essentially paying to REMOVE the very things that you've already payed to ADD into your tank. Your wallet will thank you (doubly!) for not paying for the carbon in addition to paying more for tannins and ferts.

Brentar

I use it sometimes. I'm more of the opinion that activated carbon has a minimal effect on ferts. So if you like how it polishes the water then I think it can be worth it. I find I like the pellets better than the "powder" kind.

mattgirl

The space in the filter being taken up with carbon can be better used by adding more bio-media. I've not run carbon in my tanks since I ditched the disposable cartridges years ago. I've never had to medicate a tank so have not needed carbon to remove any.

LouPey

YellowGuppy said:
If you've got some in your possession hold onto it just in case you ever need it, but for much of the time, you'll never need it! Especially with IAL and fertilizers, you're essentially paying to REMOVE the very things that you've already payed to ADD into your tank. Your wallet will thank you (doubly!) for not paying for the carbon in addition to paying more for tannins and ferts.
Yep that was what got me thinking when I actually thought about it. I'm paying double for everything to just counteract each other haha. So makes sense to take it out really it seems..

Brentar said:
I use it sometimes. I'm more of the opinion that activated carbon has a minimal effect on ferts. So if you like how it polishes the water then I think it can be worth it. I find I like the pellets better than the "powder" kind.
I've just taken it out so I'll see how it makes a difference to the clarity of my water. I do weekly 50% changes to my water anyway so hopefully that will be enough to keep me happy.

mattgirl said:
The space in the filter being taken up with carbon can be better used by adding more bio-media. I've not run carbon in my tanks since I ditched the disposable cartridges years ago. I've never had to medicate a tank so have not needed carbon to remove any.
It did cross my mind to replace it with something else but the way the filter is, it seems to be I can either have it in or take that whole compartment out. It seems everything in it spins using the previous compartment media which is a special shape. When I took it out accidentally before the whole thing didn't seem to work. Weird but seems to be the way it is. Otherwise that would be an excellent idea I think too!

Thanks all!

JettsPapa

My AquaClear filters come with some, but while I haven't thrown it away I also have never put any of it in the filters.

Betta'sAnonymous

I have carbon cartridges for both my HOBs just in case. I prefer sponges n stuff in there instead.

veggieshark

I bought 50lbs of it at some point, as I make my own filter cartridge refills. But I may not buy anymore once I run out of it. Some of my filters don't have carbon option and the tanks with them are doing just fine.

Random Great Thread

Top Bottom