To Take Down Tank In Cycle

drake7

This might be a very long story, but I hope you can bear with me.

I tested my tank water today to find that my tank is cycling great! With ammonia at 2ppm+ and nitrites appearing at 5ppm. I was so super excited! After weeks of anxiously waiting and testing every 2 days, I thought I could finally see my tank filled with fishes by end of this month or so.

Then my dad came home and told me to take the tank down. To empty the tank and not have it with water for now. Reason why is because my dad believes in this thing which the Chinese believe, 'Feng Shui', in which he says before any aquarium can be set up in a house, it has to be checked by a Feng ShuI master who will advise us where to set up the tank. To get this advice from this person, we of course have to pay him in a certain amount of 'service' fees. (something like a fortune teller) But my dad can't afford a Feng ShuI master right now, so he said to take it down and leave it empty for a month or so. I felt so down because I've been working hard to get this tank set up properly and finally have fishes in it for me and my family to enjoy.

Is there anyway I can keep the tank cycling while at the same time taking the tank down? I mean.. could I possibly get the tank to cycle in another smaller tank, and then when my dad gives the green light, I can transfer the cycled tank to my bigger tank? I'm just so disappointed right now, I don't want to take it down, but for my dad's sake, I should. But I'm just thinking of some alternatives. I just want to save the cycle, to save my hard work in the process, so that I don't have to start all over again next month. This wait is already killing me.

Jelly

You can cycle your filter if you run it in a bucket or any container of water as long as you are feeding your BB. It might not be fully cycled when you put it back on the tank, but it will certainly give you a big head start.

Good luck!

drake7

Thanks for the reply, Jelly.

Unfortunately, I can't do anything about it. So I'm going to be taking down my tank today and emptying it, leaving it empty for a month or so. Then would have to start my cycle from scratch.

pugletfan

So sorry for your troubles , drake7. It is good that you can be accepting of your dad's opinions. Hang in there!! Eventually you will have a beautiful aquarium that your whole family can enjoy. Perhaps you can use this waiting time to research fish and plan your tank. I have enjoyed reading and taking noted on articles on Fishlore . I am keeping a notebook of things that I learn, a 3 ring notebook, with different sections on various topics.

drake7

pugletfan said:
So sorry for your troubles , drake7. It is good that you can be accepting of your dad's opinions. Hang in there!! Eventually you will have a beautiful aquarium that your whole family can enjoy. Perhaps you can use this waiting time to research fish and plan your tank. I have enjoyed reading and taking noted on articles on Fishlore . I am keeping a notebook of things that I learn, a 3 ring notebook, with different sections on various topics.
That sounds good Thank you. Your notebook sounds interesting.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom