To Snail Or Not To Snail?

GillCintonsMom

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi guys

We have a 29 gallon tank (non planted right now) with two goldfish (commet and ryukin). We plan to move up tank sizes once they grow bigger. We have large pebbles for the substrate and we do weekly water changes (20-30%) and test the water with our liquid test kit. Lately we've had a little algae issue and I've heard adding a couple snails would help the matter? All the tests are coming out good but I really want to clear up the tank a little so I want to ask:
A) What type of snail is best?
B) How many would you recommend getting in our size of tank?
3) Do the snails help with the algae enough to bother?

Please know we've already moved down the time the tank light is on and positioned it so it's not right by a window.

Thanks everyone!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Depending on what type of algae it is. Is it mostly on the glass? As long as Nerites are compatible with goldfish i would plop a couple in there and they will do a good job on your glass. They are champion glass cleaners IME. I have them in all my tanks. I don't have goldfish though.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

GillCintonsMom

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Depending on what type of algae it is. Is it mostly on the glass? As long as Nerites are compatible with goldfish i would plop a couple in there and they will do a good job on your glass. They are champion glass cleaners IME. I have them in all my tanks. I don't have goldfish though.
It's not so much on the glass as it is on the rocks at the bottom and the decorations. I looked it up and it looks like nerites are really big with goldfish owners, thanks for the suggestion!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It's not so much on the glass as it is on the rocks at the bottom and the decorations. I looked it up and it looks like nerites are really big with goldfish owners, thanks for the suggestion!
Soundsa good hope they get your goldies tank lookin pristine... If i know anything about how nerites are voracious algae eaters it'll look great in no time!!

BillCNC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unless you find out why your getting Algae in the fist place, your going to be chasing your tail.

Your tank is out of balance between the lighting and the nutrient's that are in the tank. You can cut down on the nutrient's by reducing feeding or you can cut down on the amount of lighting you give it. ALSO you need to change your water more considering your having algae in the first place. Possibly start at 25% 2x a week and go from there.

Also note, this did not happen overnight so it will not go away over night. By doing SINGLE small changes you will find where the problem is. If you do a bunch of stuff at once, you'll never know if or how you corrected the problem resulting in nothing learned.

Regards
Bill

GillCintonsMom

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Unless you find out why your getting Algae in the fist place, your going to be chasing your tail.

Your tank is out of balance between the lighting and the nutrient's that are in the tank. You can cut down on the nutrient's by reducing feeding or you can cut down on the amount of lighting you give it. ALSO you need to change your water more considering your having algae in the first place. Possibly start at 25% 2x a week and go from there.

Also note, this did not happen overnight so it will not go away over night. By doing SINGLE small changes you will find where the problem is. If you do a bunch of stuff at once, you'll never know if or how you corrected the problem resulting in nothing learned.

Regards
Bill
Thanks Bill!
After reading article after article and watching this really cool YouTube video about algae:

We decided to go ahead and get some nerite snails after talking with our local aquatic store. Not only do they help the tank but we're fond of the little guys and they've been oddly fun to watch. The person who told us the tank was cycled completely ended up being wrong, we fought with ammonia for a bit and after the ammonia died down (daily tests and water changes as it cycled) the algae started and the video was explaining how ammonia spikes can cause algae after so hoping that was it?

Anyways here is the fellowship of the cleans, Frodo, Sam, Gandalf, Merry and Pippin.
snailsssss.jpg

ClaireRedfield

Reaction score
Awesome names! Just a quick note. If you get female nerites they will lay awful white eggs everywhere, that are super hard to get off. Means they’re happy though, and the eggs may not bother you lol

JonJal

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi guys

We have a 29 gallon tank (non planted right now) with two goldfish (commet and ryukin). We plan to move up tank sizes once they grow bigger. We have large pebbles for the substrate and we do weekly water changes (20-30%) and test the water with our liquid test kit. Lately we've had a little algae issue and I've heard adding a couple snails would help the matter? All the tests are coming out good but I really want to clear up the tank a little so I want to ask:
A) What type of snail is best?
B) How many would you recommend getting in our size of tank?
3) Do the snails help with the algae enough to bother?

Please know we've already moved down the time the tank light is on and positioned it so it's not right by a window.

Thanks everyone!
Yes. Nerite snails are a good option. I have Zebra nerites, leopard or tiger nerite snails and a couple horned nerites ( i believe is what they were called when i bought them lol) Just put mine in on Friday so I really cannot report on how well they working yet, but yes I've been told it is the snail to have. Also, they DO NOT reproduce in freshwater so you won't have an infestation 3 weeks down the road.

GillCintonsMom

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Awesome names! Just a quick note. If you get female nerites they will lay awful white eggs everywhere, that are super hard to get off. Means they’re happy though, and the eggs may not bother you lol
Thank you! The video and store mentioned the eggs but it seems like a nice trade off. I love your conure in your profile picture- makes me miss my pineapple conure!

ClaireRedfield

Reaction score
Thank you! The video and store mentioned the eggs but it seems like a nice trade off. I love your conure in your profile picture- makes me miss my pineapple conure!
That’s my baby girl Zoe. She’s a total weirdo I test drive my nerites now lol. I put them in the 30g first, if no eggs they can be moved to the betta tanks. The eggs don’t bother me in bigger tanks, but drive me nuts in a small 5g. They are cool little dudes, have fun with them

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom