To seperate or not to seperate

1. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I am having one of my common moments of indecision. I have a 38 gallon tank here at home that is about to be empty of occupants. At the moment it has 6 african cichlids in it but they are getting moved to a bigger tank in a few days. Currently I have been using a 20 gallon for my betta fry grow out tank and have 4 divided 10 gallons for my adults. I am trying to decide whether to divide the 38 for my adults and split babies between a few of the 10's to grow out or just use the 38 for my grow out and leave the adults in the seperated 10 gallons???? Any opinions?

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

id use the 38g for grow out tanks..and be looking for even bigger ones if you plan on breeding again....of course after the africans are moved ...;D

3. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

You want a big grow out tank for Betta fry.....I have a 55 and a 20.....They grow much faster in the 55....Oh and don't forget the 100000000000000000000 jars you're gonna need lol

4. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I am 100% planning on breeding again and have my eyes on a 125 gallon...we will see if Santa comes through for me! If it isn't under the tree, then it will probably have to wait a few months. As for the jars, I have found a party supply company in Texas that can get me 48oz clear plastic jars with lids..I have 250 ordered that should be there when we get back!

Hmmmmmmm...tell me this...is a 38 gallon big enough for 6 of the small african cichlids??? I have had them for about 4 months now and they are all only about an inch and a half long??

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:innocent0001: for :;santaclausto be nice to you!!!!!!!!

depends on what kind they are....

6. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I have to admit that I really have no idea what kind they are, they came from a "mixed african" tank at petco. They are torpedo shaped...long and thin...and are the electric blue and yellow colored...one of them is yellow with a black stripe from head to tail.

7. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Critter, send me a link to the jars please...

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

get some pics im sure we can help more ;)
    descriptions can be a thousand different species in african world LOL

9. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

Hmmm... I don't have a link cause I called them out of the phone book. Once I get back to Texas I can get the number for you. When I called them they told me that they can basically order any size jars I needed...I was considering either 32, 36 or 48 oz...I finally decided on the 48's so they will have a more space. I haven't found anywhere yet that I can get them bigger than that. I don't remember the name off the top of my head, but I do know they are in Early, Tx.

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

11. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

12. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

Here are some pics...the reason I was asking is because I have an empty 55 gallon I was going to move the cichlids to, but if they will be ok in the 38 then I will just use the 55 for a grow out tank. I got pics of them all except the little bright blue one with dark black stripes.

Attached Files:

13. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hmm, well if you used the 38G for adults you could use each separate other tank for different size fry, just to make sure the smaller ones get their food :)
    However I agree with the others that using the 38G for grow out seems better :)

14. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

great looking fish!!! their colors are just faboo...
    but id put the africans in the 55g ..sorry ...some of them will be terrors as they grow...my auratus rules my 75g ...although each fish has their own temperaments, he wont be playing nice much longer IMO ...

15. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

He is the one with O.C.D. when it comes to the bubble wand along the back of the tank. He spends 75% or more of his time swimming back and forth through the bubbles..over and over and OVER again!

16. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

its actually a she ;) and maybe shes working out on the treadmill? ;D :;dk

17. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

:;laughing could be!

18. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I got the cichlids moved to the 55 gallon last night...they have been zipping around ever since, checking out their new "pad". I drained, cleaned, filled and heated the 38 last night for the betta fry. I decided to go ahead and move them into it today and out of the 2 gallon container I brought them home in since I am going to be home for about 2 weeks. The fry got moved an hour or so ago and they are some HAPPY fry now!! The graveled tank is the 55, the others are of the 38 gallon and the fry. All the plants in the 38 are live except for the purple flowery one.

Attached Files:

19. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Looks Good!
    What are you planning to do with the fry in 2 weeks? :p

20. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

A day or 2 before we head back to Tx, I will transfer them back to their 2 gallon "fry taxi". But, this time when we leave, the 38 will be coming with me! Once we get back, I will set it up again and get them moved back into their new, bigger diggs.