To nugget or not to nugget

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few gold nugget plecos for sale; they are beautiful! And now I want one  ;D But I also saw several rubber lip plecos, a queen arabesque pleco, and an albino chocolate pleco, as well, and those also intrigued me. What do y'all think?

I've been researching and I read at Planet Catfish that the gold nugget pleco will get aggressive when defending/claiming territory. How aggressive are we talking? As far as bottom feeders go, I have a clown pleco (and otos, if they count) in the tank and I don't want any bullying. I have a pretty large common pleco, so I'm not worried about that one.

AND is forty dollars an exorbitant price for a gold nugget?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know how aggressive that would be, but if you love your cory cats, you may want to consider getting one of those less aggressive plecos. I think $40.00 is about the going rate for the gold nuggets. You could try and find someone local that sells them (a hobbyist or breeder) or possibly get one on aquabid.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The queen Arabesque is absolutely beautiful and only get 3.5 -4 inches, the Chocolate plec(same as my Rhino) and will get 8 inches both are very gentle and non-aggressive. I have heard the Gold Nuggets can be really aggressive.
Here are two of my Queen Arabesque babies. They are about 3/4 inch.
Carol

not4you

Valued Member
Reaction score
I can't comment on the temperment of the gold nugget but I've seen them in my LFS for $39.99.

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly, those are pretty. I had no idea that Queen Arabesques looked like that; kind of like clown plecos, but black and white, huh? I must have been looking at a mislabeled fish; the one I saw was brown...a nice chocolate color, and it was white- or cream-spotted...very small, pinprick spots. Any idea of what it could have been? It was very small, maybe an inch long. It was labeled a Queen Arabesque. And I think it was about fifty dollars.

I got the gold nugget; I'm terrible, I know. They were just so striking, I couldn't resist. I also got another clown pleco. And more otos. I don't have a problem! I can stop any time I want!

The funny thing is that the clown pleco seems to be kind of elbowing the gold nugget a little bit. The gold nugget is easily the larger of the two.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't have any idea what they were selling labled as Queen Arabesques. The QA'a have a definate black/white stripe.
Hope you enjoy your Nugget, they sure are pretty. After he settles in mabe you could post some pictures for us. Somebody else here has a nugget humm... David maybe?
Carol

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
I put a few pictures in my gallery last night...under my login name. They're not very good quality, but they're the best of about one hundred shots.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom