75 Gallon Tank To much? Possible dithers?

TheAD

Hello, So I have had my 75 gallon tank up for a while now and everyone gets along just fine. That being said I do feel that I may have overstocked it a bit.

Currently I have a Jack Dempsey, Red Shoulder Severum and a Panda Parrot in the tank. The JD and Severum are full grown with the parrot being about 5 inches give or take an inch. I was worried I may have to return one or two of them due to aggression, but thus far the only aggression has been the Severum kinda lightly bumping into the parrot on occasion.

That being said. I was wondering maybe if getting something like 4-5 giant danios would help give the tank some more life.

My only worry is upsetting the balance that is in the tank currently, that or overstocking a tank that is already over stocked more.

Thanks for the advice/opinions

Fae

Can you give more info on what your tank looks like? Any hides or territories? It might be on the small side, but I am not personally familiar with these fish, just what I've seen from looking at others. I'd say if you're already worried it's too small, adding more fish likely won't be beneficial. I'd re-home one and get the danios, or upgrade to a bigger tank (and still get the danios ;) )

OP
T

TheAD

This my tank currently. The jack Dempsey is in his cave. I wouldn't say there are any territories. The JD likes his cave or will sometimes lay on the far right. The severum sticks more to the left of the tank and the panda parrot just goes wherever he pleases.

Attachments

Fae

TheAD said:
This my tank currently. The jack Dempsey is in his cave. I wouldn't say there are any territories. The JD likes his cave or will sometimes lay on the far right. The severum sticks more to the left of the tank and the panda parrot just goes wherever he pleases.
I think as the panda parrot grows, you might end up having issues if the severum is already showing dominance, although if they're fine now maybe they're comfortable enough with each other to be okay. I see what you mean about being worried about upsetting the balance! But, the tank also does seem kinda small for three full grown cichlids. Are they all male?
(Again my experience with cichlids is only what I've read so take this more as bouncing ideas off someone vs actual advice)

OP
T

TheAD

To be honest I have no clue as to the sex of my fish. As for the dominance it shows its very subtle if that is what it is. To give you an idea of how aggressive these guys are there is a guppy in there somewhere. They haven't ate it, they don't chase the guppy, it just does its thing. That being said, I know that can turn on a dime at any moment but I do feel confident with them being together. The Severum and JD have been together since they were babies and I added the parrot when he was only 3 inches about 6 months or so ago.

I think I will just let the tank be. No point in upsetting a stable tank. I just wanted to add some fish that would move around a bit more. Maybe make the JD less shy, he really is a giant baby haha.

Gh05t

I think youd be fine with some dithers actually, JDs aggression isn't severe they typically occupy a territory in the aquarium. Severums can be fiesty but they have small mouths and parrots well they may have the attitude of a midas at times but theyre pretty deformed and outside of pushing around another fish they cant do much damage. I wouldt go for the danios as their torpedo shape makes them a tasty snack for larger cichlids. I would suggest 5-6 spotted silver dollars....the spotted morph stay smaller and are pretty lively. The intent of dither fish is typically to draw out shy fish and curb aggression between cichlids so really it is a good idea IMO. If anything you may want to increase your filtration and beef up waterchanges.

Fae

Gh05t said:
I think youd be fine with some dithers actually, JDs aggression isn't severe they typically occupy a territory in the aquarium. Severums can be fiesty but they have small mouths and parrots well they may have the attitude of a midas at times but theyre pretty deformed and outside of pushing around another fish they cant do much damage. I wouldt go for the danios as their torpedo shape makes them a tasty snack for larger cichlids. I would suggest 5-6 spotted silver dollars....the spotted morph stay smaller and are pretty lively. The intent of dither fish is typically to draw out shy fish and curb aggression between cichlids so really it is a good idea IMO. If anything you may want to increase your filtration and beef up waterchanges.
LOL there's the experienced advice we were waiting for XD

New Threads