To Much Light?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by pinkynicca, Nov 26, 2012.

1. pinkyniccaNew MemberMember

Hello, new to the forum had a question, one of my tanks is a 55 gallon, 48" long and about 21ish? high. i purchased this light.

http://www.amazon.com/AquaticLife-D...=1353984035&sr=1-2&keywords=aquaticlife+t5+48

i was wondering if i can add another or would that be to much? im trying to figure out how the watts per gallon works, i hear with the t5 it doesnt work the same. also if you have to much light you have to have Co2? im not trying to grow any crazy stuff and this light seems to be doing great but there was a sale and i could get one for a good price. Thank you!!

2. carolo43

carolo43Valued MemberMember

To me it would be. I used a compact fixture and had great plants and never any algae. I switched to a Nova with the T5HO and now struggle with green spot algae regularly. It's too much lighting, IMO, and I do not run CO2. I would think your light is plenty for most all plants.

3. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fishlore.

That duel fixture will be plenty. It will put you in the highlight category. If you double it up you will need to raise it 12" above the tank as that would be way too much light.

CO2 and fertilizers are a requirement when you get into highlight/high tech setups.

I've got that same fixture suspended from the ceiling for easy adjustment. I found it to be too much light sitting on its 3" legs. You can grow pretty much anything. Good fixture. Each bulb has its own reflector which is better.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/125-tips-successful-planted-aquarium.html

4. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

With that one light it is high light using the legs that the fixture comes with. You are correct, watts per gallon doesn't apply to T5HO or even T5NO due to its efficiency. https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/catsma_97504/112191-reference-hoppys-lighting-chart.html

If you can hang the fixture a foot off the top of the tank, that would bring down to, roughly, medium light. Either way I would dose seachem excel (or API CO2 booster) and the required fertilizers so the plants grow properly. That may help keep the algae at bay, or under control if it surfaces. Moderate to high light will need CO2, pressurized being the best, but pricey up front. That is a good fixture though, with decent quality reflectors and ballast.

edit: yet again, I typed too slow :).

5. OP
    OP
    p

pinkyniccaNew MemberMember

you guys rock! thanks alot, i use excel and flourish! i didnt think i needed the light i just like spending money on fish stuff :( im an addict!. i plan to hang it a foot higher if i notice algae growth, thanks again!

6. carolo43

carolo43Valued MemberMember

You'll have to be picky about the plants you use with Excel. It's a plant killer to several kinds. Also has been a fish killer for some that I had and I never dosed more than was recommended. I think it's dangerous stuff myself.

7. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Green Spot Algae on the glass will be an indication of too much light. :)

Yeah, I know what you mean :p I too buy stuff I don't need. Lol

I used to use Excel myself, then went injected. Excel did the job. Never had any problems using it with my Vals. I dosed 2 caps a day and followed the directions after a large water change as what to dose.

You may want to think about looking into dry fertilizers. They are in that link I gave you. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice