To Moonlight or not to Moonlight

Dcolewizard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have done some research into this topic and have read that it can be beneficial if you do it right as it is a more natural way to view fish at night and also help plants if you have them.

I am planning on getting plants later this year after I get out of the rookie stage in my fish career but I do have a few questions.

1) Will adding moonlight help my tank as it is a 55 gallon tank and I just normally shut off the lights when I go to bed.
2) If I do get moonlights or not should I invest in a timer switch to turn on the lights automatically to mimic sunrise/sunset?
3) How would I go a DIY for Moonlights?
4) How bright should it be and how blue should it be?

Thank you!

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi, I can't answer all your questions but I can tell you the timer idea is what I do. They are on moonlight from about 7pm to 11pm and after that the tank lights are off. If you think about moonlight we don't always have a full moon and there are many nights that are totally dark. At 7am they turn back on and at 8am when I feed them I turn on the daylights. I do feel it is a gentle way to end their day and start up the next.

I use Marineland strip lights but I have also used their double bright light. Both take care of the daylight and moonlight.

Dcolewizard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am fairly technically inclined so this might be overkill but would adding a dimmer switch so that the light isn't just a bright light turning on all at once but rather that it gradually brightens up. would be beneficial or practical?

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I love that idea. If you have the skills, go for it

Ohiotank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use my moonlight but it is more for me than the plants. I do run the blue when the white and red are on because plants need that spectrum. When you get plants I would get a timer because consistency is the key, you need to balance your light ferts and co2 even in a low tech tank or you will be dealing with algae. The moonlights are a nice look for an hour or two before bed!!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

macca

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Apparently a blue moonlight help some fish spawn.
Personally, I've always added a blue moonlight to my tanks on a timer. Pair it with a white sandy substrate to give the tank a totally different dimension at night.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom