To Mist...or Not To Mist Back Of Tank?

Aquatilibus

I've just misted the back of my GBR tank....not sure if it's an improvement, although it does help with my neighbours' privacy.....what do you think?

Unmisted:

Misted:

Iboughtmykidfish

That is so cool, I love it!
How did you do it? I've been thinking about doing a dyI background for my tanks, I'm not fond of the store ones.

Aquatilibus

That is so cool, I love it!
How did you do it? I've been thinking about doing a dyI background for my tanks, I'm not fond of the store ones.
Thanks....First of all I tried frosted film but it was a right pain trying to apply it straight and without air bubbles....so I just cut a piece of opaque plastic sheet to size and clipped it on to the back of the tank....just need to get a small LED spotlight now and aI'm it at the back from the outside to give a 'sunshine' effect

jmaldo

? So that is misted. What a difference night/day. I use Black posterboard mainly, but do have an assortment of colors. I feel it allows the eye to focus on the the aquascape and fish, while hiding the hardware. The colors become more vivid and pop.

coralbandit

I like it with the background better.
You could even use a night light[ lunar blue] behind it in the evening.

Aquatilibus

I like it with the background better.
You could even use a night light[ lunar blue] behind it in the evening.
That's a brilliant suggestion Bandit.....I've added a blue LED behind the screen now.
Rams-mist1.jpg
Rams-mist2.jpg
Rams-mist3.jpg

Wraithen

That's a brilliant suggestion Bandit.....I've added a blue LED behind the screen now.
Rams-mist1.jpg
Rams-mist2.jpg
Rams-mist3.jpg
Holy mother of.... pictures a scape resembling a lot of rocks with the plants on a higher shelf so it looks like a cliff with a beach below it. The misted glass with the blue led looks like a sun poking through a heavy fog... sorry, got super excited about this for some reason. Its like someone just opened a third dimension to aquascaping.

coralbandit

That looks GREAT !

Aquatilibus

Thanks Bandit & Wraithen......now if only I had a proper camera

Thunder_o_b

Thanks Bandit & Wraithen......now if only I had a proper camera
If you and your little ones were closer I would ask you if I could photograph them. You have done brilliantly with this. I just painted the two wall sides of the 150 black. I think I will try this with an aquarium in the future.

Aquatilibus

Thank you Thunder,.......it helps if the opaque plastic sheet backs on to a window. The blue nightlight feature as suggested by Bandit looks stunning when I close the curtains....its just a pity that my iPhone camera lens won't let enough light in to capture it.

Thunder_o_b

Thank you Thunder,.......it helps if the opaque plastic sheet backs on to a window. The blue nightlight feature as suggested by Bandit looks stunning when I close the curtains....its just a pity that my iPhone camera lens won't let enough light in to capture it.
I have found (as in most forms of artistic expression) true innovation such as the combination of the ideas from you and coralbandit to be a rare and unique thing. I would guess you have opened up a whole new wing in aqua scaping. Well done.

Aquatilibus

I have some business to attend to in the States next year, perhaps we can meet up for some 'inspiration'...pity you don't live in Colorado or California....or even Canada

Thunder_o_b

I have some business to attend to in the States next year, perhaps we can meet up for some 'inspiration'...pity you don't live in Colorado or California....or even Canada

That would be great if we could. You would be welcome to stay with us at our lodge.

I used to go to CA regularly as a lorry (?) owner operator. I lost my rig due to the crash 10 years ago (many good drivers lost everything). City driver these days. I do miss Blue. We hauled a lot of titanium together.

Blue in the southern desert of CA. Tractor was a Western Star 4900 EX Stratosphere with a 500 horse Detroit and a 10 speed. 200 gallon full tanks. Trailer was an East Beast spread axel flat bed with a sliding tarp system that would center 60,000 pounds. God, I miss that rig.

scan0012 #3 copy.jpg

Aquatilibus

That's some Rig....now I know why they call you Thunder

coralbandit

Next innovation to the background is a 'shadow box' ? That way it is not clumsy from outside the window[curb appeal when curtains are open] and possibly with crinkled aluminum foil the light would reflect in striated form ?
My second thought was the disco light box from the 70's ! Just kidding ,but I have made nice shadow boxes behind tanks to make them look deeper and have clean decorations ..No reason it couldn't be a light box..Four sides and a back to hold light in and possibly the foil or even white walls to just reflect more light ..
I have lunar night lights placed around fish room so it really is never dark for my fish..It is the only real use I have found for all the blue lights that are so popular besides growing BBA !
It always seems as crazy as they are fish projects are more fun then any others !

Rivermonster

Looks like a cloudy sky I like it! Wonder whether an orange/red led would look like sunset sky . .

DeniseF

I watched a guy on youtube Aquapros I think and he did a really nice backlight with a cheap LED Strip, it looked lovely! I really like yours though, it makes the fish really stand out!

Wraithen

I watched a guy on youtube Aquapros I think and he did a really nice backlight with a cheap LED Strip, it looked lovely! I really like yours though, it makes the fish really stand out!
Literally just watched that video. It was aquapros. I like the single beam poking through the frosted glass better though. Now I'm wondering what spray frost would look like on a clear piece of vinyl used as a background with a light.

Aquatilibus

I used to mess around with LED strips as background lighting when I had my angel tanks. Now as I've got older and arrange my tanks for myself instead of the grandkids*L* I have discarded the 'disco' effect and aI'm for a more natural feel, although I am working on a sunrise-misty blue-sunset version.

pb-young.jpg

Aquatilibus

Out with the disco lights....in with the misted look:

richiep

You really are onto something here looking at the videos you can clearly see an enhancement of colours not just the tank but the fish look so vibrant

DeniseF

Two of mine are double sided as I use them as a room divider for my office and the other one I have is painted black.. have to say though I really love this look and if ever I changed the set up I would definitely prefer this type of background to the standard printed landscape!

Kelso k9

It is stunning, I love both, however if I was your neighbor, I would vote unmisted...I would love that view!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FrogLegged
Replies
Views
ajoyfulbettta
Replies
Views
Bluetak
  • Question