To Medicate Or Not To Medicate Question

1. Franco

Franco Valued Member Member

Hello All... new to Fishlore! I'm currently cycling a new 10 gallon tank and am excited to introduce new fish into the tank in a few weeks. I see quarantining fish as a must, but am on the fence when it comes to medicating the new fish... even if no disease is evident. My plan was to quarantine any new fish I get for four weeks, periodically check for any signs of illness, and then introduce the fish into the display tank if all looks normal. What are you thoughts?

2. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

Since it will be a newly cycled tank I personally would put the first fish right into the tank. Normally QT is used to prevent introducing sick fish in with existing fish.

I don't think it is necessary to medicate QT fish unless there is a clear sign of illness. Lots of times medicating without a clear reason for doing so can cause more harm than good.

3. appcontrol

appcontrol Valued Member Member

You can medicate in quarantine if fish is wild caught or if you want preventive but no need for that. Just keep them at least for week or two and look for signs of disease. Other thing if you dont have any fish in main tank firt fish you can put in it. After few days you can buy more and put them in quarantine and just look.

4. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

I used to medicate a new fish with all types of medications, but have since stopped doing that as it didn't help the fish and caused undo stress, in my opinion. The only thing I do treat for preventatively is for internal parasites. I can't remember what most people use for the internal parasites. It's been awhile since I've had any new fish.

5. OP
    OP
    Franco

Thank you for your input! I will put my first fish into the display tank alone (which is essentially quarantining it). For the future, I don't think I will medicate new fish unless disease is evident.

Thank you for the quick response and the useful advice!

Yeah... that's the other thing I was considering... stress. I can only imagine that introducing any medication (even if preventative) would be quite stressful to the fish. Do you think 4 weeks is sufficient isolation in quarantine to detect any present disease?

6. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

4 weeks should be long enough.

7. OP
    OP
    Franco

Thanks!

8. RedLoredAmazon

I agree that 4 weeks is pretty good. Now, if one of the fish gets sick or dies while in quarantine, I normally start the 4 week qt all over again.

9. OP
    OP
    Franco

Thanks! I will be sure to "restart" the quarantine time if any of the fish become ill.

10. RedLoredAmazon

I had a fish die in qt the day before I was going to move them into my main tank. I had to keep them in another 4 weeks and I was about ready to go crazy with impatience!

11. OP
    OP
    Franco

Wow! Good thing you were able to catch it last minute! I'm just about going crazy waiting for my tank to cycle and it has only been a little over a week. I think in the future I might use TSS to get the cycle going quicker.

12. RedLoredAmazon

Waiting for a tank to cycle is like watching paint dry, but paint dries faster! If you don't have anyone in there, you could probably add the TSS+ to help move things along.

13. OP
    OP
    Franco

Haha sounds about right. Yeah, I was about to order TSS+ off of Amazon, but then I started to see nitrite. Just today I have started to see nitrate too... so I figured I should just wait the rest out.

14. RedLoredAmazon

Hey, if you're seeing those two, hopefully you are close! :)

15. OP
    OP
    Franco

Fingers crossed!

16. C

Cardeater Valued Member Member

I'm still on the fence about preventative medications in QT. There are some that recommend it and Cory of Aquarium Coop has a video where he explains his QT recommendation that he uses on the store and recommends others do as well. There are other YouTubers that do the same.

The general trend on this forum is that many or even most are against it. On other forums, the sentiment leans towards preventative treatments: for example, loaches.com and Simplydiscus.

What I'm on the fence about is using Cory's med trio as I lost 2 out of 3 Loaches the first time I did this. I do realize the Loaches might have died anyway. (The third one survived and made it through my deworming and is thriving so far).

Internal parasites:
    What I have convinced myself to preventively treat for is internal parasites as they can take several weeks or months to show themselves. I know I'm not going to quarantine for several months and it would be harder to get rid of say callamanus worms in a main tank with substrate and decorations.

Others will disagree; I'm just telling you what I personally have decided to do.

What convinced me personally is that wild fish (I'm QTing clown Loaches right now) come from rivers and there can be all types of parasites present there. I would feel differently getting fish from a local breeder. The other argument is that all kinds of stuff can be present in farms, and then the wholesaler tanks and possibly the LFS.

Others have had wild fish with no problems but I've also found posts of skinny Loaches that ended up being too far gone to save.

I just treated my tank with General Cure (contains two drugs: metronidazole and praziquantel) and two rounds of levamisole. General Cure and levamisole treat different types of internal parasites. (Some use flubendezol or fenbendozal instead of levamisole).

I just figured I'd give you a different perspective.

17. OP
    OP
    Franco

Wow thanks for the information! Yeah... I've noticed there seems to be no agreement in the fish keeping community on this topic. I might treat for internal parasites as a preventative measure in the future. I think it makes more sense for those that have very large aquariums to treat ahead of time (as a lot of value could be lost if the entire aquarium gets infected), but for my purposes (10 gallon), I think just pure quarantining will be sufficient.

18. C

Cardeater Valued Member Member

Oh here's Cory's video:

Yeah, you bring up a good point. The horror story that scared me is this guy on loaches.com that had like 30 beautiful Loaches that he lost because of a bad ich infection that happened due to no QT. (He also admits he overreacted and mixes two meds he shouldn't have, but he learned to be extra wary and QT after that).

As I said, I'm almost done with my QT and I'm not sure if I'm doing this med trio for my next batch. Just figured I'd link you the video so you make up your own mind.

19. OP
    OP
    Franco

Thanks for sharing the video. Yeah... I think it would be wise for me to at least have these medications on hand just in case... especially one targeting ich.