To many fish?

1. FishTankPerson

FishTankPerson Valued Member Member

I'm a guy that loves to have a variety of species in my tank. I've been stocking a 30 gallon tank, and I read about the inch per gallon thing. I don't know how the fish will actually get, and I'm hoping that I didn't overstock my tank. Some of my fish are of the aggressive species, but get along.
    Here is the list:
    1 Angle fish (Doesn't make a move on the tetras)
    1 Black More
    1 Betta (Not aggressive to other fish)
    1 Dr. fish (Garra Rufa)
    1 Rainbow Platy (Very Peaceful)
    3 Tetras (Hoping to make a bigger school)

2. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

1 inch per gallon rule is very outdated. Schooling fish like your tetras need to be in groups of 6 or more. Your black more I believe is is a cold water fish, but I'm not sure. I don't think the platy is a good idea they have a large bio load.

3. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

A black moor should not be in there, they are cold water fish. In not sure about having the Dr. Fish is probably not a good idea since the get 6-7inches, id give him away. I'd say it would be ok with 5-6 tetras(depending on the species), the platy, and the betta. What species is the tetra? If you don't know you can post a photo and we could help ID. Personally I'd give away the platy or the betta because I feel like it's pushing it...:)

4. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

Black More seems healthy, and loves to scavenge the bottom of the tank. I'm thinking of moving him to my pond. I have neon tetras, sorry I forgot to label them. Thanks for the quick response!

5. Platylover

Ok this is what I think you should do, you might be able to keep the doctor fish. Keep the betta and the platy. Neon tetras prefer coldwater as well, what size pond is it? What other fish do you have? I'd give the need the neons away.

6. Dave125g

You have a few fish there that can eat a neon when it gets bigger. Neons don't get very big

7. j

jpm995 Well Known Member Member

Angle fish get pretty big and can attack small fish. Black moore is a goldfish/carp not really suited to a tropical tank, plus there large waste producers. There's many types of tetras from small [neon] to large [congo], not familiar with Dr fish, sounds familiar but not sure if their good community fish or not.

8. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

My pond is 100 gallons, I believe. I have a goldfish in it, but in the winter it get's snowed on. It doesn't freeze, because it has a waterfall. To cold? I heard that if you keep the fish together, when there young they might not eat each other:;jaws

9. Platylover

Dr fish are the ones that clean your hands and such They are peaceful fish, but that's abut as much as I know. I forgot about the Angel. I'd keep it or the doctor fish. Neons wouldn't work as they need colder temps than the others. I'd move the Moore into the pond, about the cold I'll leave that to the pond experts, but I believe you can get heaters for pinds.;)

10. j

jpm995 Well Known Member Member

Not sure what state/zone your in but waterfalls can freeze and seize the pump.

11. Dave125g

I looked it up for ya. .. Black mores are what ya call sub tropical. They can handle temperatures as low as 60 not much higher than 70. A pond that freezes over gets around 50 or so. I don't think a pond will work

12. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

I'll think about moving some fish out, if I do can I replace them with anything else? Wikipedia, says that neon tetras, are good in 79 F, which is what my tank sits about.
    Site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_tetra
    Also don't angelfish, and neon tetra's live together, in the wild. i read somewhere that some one had a happy Black Moor in temperature above 80 F? Dr. fish can get 7 in. you don't use 1 in' per gallon anymore?

13. Dave125g

I looked on 1 website blackmoregoldfish.org they said they can handle down to 40degree temps

14. Dave125g

Think about a 10 inch Oscar in a 10 gallon tank. He wouldn't be able to move. Neons can handle a max temp of 78. But keeping fish at there max or min. temperature can shorten there lifespan

15. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

Wow 40 degrees, I bet he would be fine in the pond.

16. Platylover

Neons need 69-79F. 1 inch per gallon really is dated, think about it, you have a 10inch fish in a 10g tank... This is a pretty good site you can use-
    http://howmanyfish.com
    Even if they had a "happy" black Moore, they really need colder temps...
    I take so long to type haha, someone already said about the 10 inch fish...

17. Dave125g

Yea if that sight is accurate. The other said min.60

18. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

19. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

Wow thanks for the site, very helpful!

20. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

I read another site, and it said if neon tetras are under 80 F they can get Ich.