to have or not to have guppies

aj_1992

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi, i'm kinda new to this fish hobby, and i'm still planning out how my aquarium should be. i've considered zebra dsanios and corys, but i saw that guppies are pretty interesting too. the other day i saw a good deal for a 15 gallon tank and i don't know if it's enough room for 4-5 guppies plus possibly a coulple of corys ???. and do guppies eat algae wafers?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It would be fine for about three guppys and three corys. should be very pretty. good luck
Carol

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, guppies eat algae wafers....actually hogs them (at least mine does).

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yep and flakes and about anything else that will fit in their mouth
Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yep, definitely! my guppies eat anything! bits of dead plant, flakes, algae wafers, cucumber.....anything!!!! - they're great fish to have too! very pretty and easy to look after! enjoy!!

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
yeah guppies will eat algae wafers. Just drop them in and they'll go right for them, sometimes taking them away from others. But the corys love them, along with the shrimp pellets. Guppies will eat anything that they can get their mouth on (they love to be the first ones to all the food). It will be a fun tank to have those 2 species together-good luck!

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi aj

i'm a new tank owner too. i have two comets. i'm willing to buy some guppies for another tank. guppies are easy to breed too. get one male and one female and soon there will be babies swimming around. but if u want babies u will have to take care of the female and have to separate her when she is pregnant. u have to separate the babies too or their parents will eat them.

good luck

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actually it's better to have one male and two females. This helps spread the males attention around so he doesn't harrass the female too much. If you have LOTS of plants,real or artificial, the babies can hide in them and the parents won't eat them.
Carol

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
try to have some floating plants-the fry will want to go to the surface after they're born to avoid the bigger fish which lurk below!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom