To get this right

1. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

jdhef
    Hi jdhef and all.. I was able to pick up my new tank for my Bettas.
    Im doing a fish in cycle as suggested. My new 30L tank consists of:
    1 Elite Mini Underwater Filter, 1 Aqua One Heater 25W, 1 Boyu LED
    Clipped Light, 1 Thermometer and 1 Serenity 1.5 watt Air Pump.
    I added some gravel and new water. To the water i added some
    Marine Master Water Ager (removes chlorine & chloramine) and
    some Aquamate Aouarium Conditioning Salt. The heater is set at
    26c. The water flows slowly through all 4 compartments of the tank.
    I was so excited to get my new tank home i forgot to buy the testing
    kit, and now the shop is closed and its a public holiday here tomorrow.
    so it will be a couple of days until i can get hold of the testing kit!
    In the meantime, how often should i change the water and what
    percentage please?
    Here is a photo of my new pride and joy with my babies in it!
    http://imgur.com/XQTs0g5

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Beautiful :0 and I assume for the 2 days if you don't feed them (which will be fine if they've been fed normally up to this point or if they're new from a store) that you don't have to change any water until the day you get the test kit and check the water parameters.

I'll be interested to see other's suggestions though. Waste production may be a little more than average because there's 4.

Did you see Prime or Stability at your store?

3. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Ah so no food for 2 days, yes they have been fed normally prior to the new tank.
    They have Australian dried black worms, they also like the Wardley betta Alimento pellets too. So i should not feed them at all you think?
    On the prime, ive had a blonde moment and in my head i thought the prime was the same thing as the water ager? And i will look for the stability also when i buy the testing kit :;dogrun

4. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

The prime goes a step above removing chlorine and chloramines, it will detoxify up to 1ppm (in the normal dose) of your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Handy during fish-in cycling. They say if required, you can do up to 5x normal dose to detoxify up to 5ppm, but for a spike like that it'd probably be better to do water changes til it drops to a reasonable level.

Read the info on the Ager and see if it says it detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrates, if not then I'd recommend picking up prime instead.

If you can get stability, that'll help grow bacteria in your filter.

And yes I think you'll be fine not feeding them. It takes a week or two for a Betta to starve with absolutely no food. My normal feeding regiment is once every other day. Extending that an extra day shouldn't be any trouble.

5. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Ok after careful reading, its not the the Water Ager, its the Aquamate Aouarium Conditioning Salt. The salt reads: It lessens the number of pathogens in the water, it provides replacement sodium and chloride ions that stressed or sick fish need, and it may inhibit the fishes uptake of toxic chemicals in the tap water like Nitrate; leading to and overall healthier fish tank.
    I guess that does not cover the ammonia though? Hmm..
    I feed my bettas daily though, will that impact on the 2 days without food?

6. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

No that shouldn't impact them at all.
    And no the aquarium salt isn't the same as prime at all, and I've heard mixed opinions about using salt too much as it has some downsides that aren't very easy to monitor, so I wouldn't use salt again but it should be fine at the moment, maybe even good if it does help stressed fish, which they likely are given their recent transportation.

7. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Thank you Cody! Ill do my best to find the right stuff next time im in the shop :)

8. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

No problem! And also, since I didn't exactly say this before, with Prime you won't have to use the water Ager anymore because Prime removes chlorine and chloramine along with the detoxifying effects it has on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

Keep us posted and good luck!

9. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Why not feed them for the first few days? They need to feel safe and happy. Feeding them does just that.

10. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I was suggesting not to feed until she can get prime and the test kit in a few days so that they don't poop too much and need more of a water change. Once she gets the kit she can keep track of water conditions and feed them regularly.

If somebody more experienced can comment on wether she shouldn't feed or just do water changes I'm sure both me and OP would appreciate!

11. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

She shouldn't have to stop feeding them for that. She should just feed a pinch a day. Once she gets that stuff then go back to twice a day feeding:).

12. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Okay, good to know, thanks!

13. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Np:) so op do you know what to do now? :)

14. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Thanks guys! I was a little worried about not feeding them.. So feed them a little i will :) Im also worried about what Cody said about the salt ive used, im now watching them like a hawk in fear i have put the wrong thing in my water for them.. Bluey was shaking his head a bit a few hours ago, i started to panic but he seems ok now. I have used it in all my other fresh water tanks and my other fish are fine so hopefully they will be ok. The last thing i need is another disaster.

15. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Oh yeah it should be fine, just not something I'd use regularly as I've heard a few discourage it. I don't think it's a detriment to the little guys. I can't remember the exact reasons for discouragement, if somebody might comment on that it'd be appreciated. Not something to stress about especially if you've used it before.

16. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Just a quick question on my female fighter.. Last week i was on these forums and was told the 5L tank i had her in was too small, she was so happy in that little tank, talking to me everyday and swimming around happily. I moved her to a bigger tank like suggested 15L, since then she doesnt seem as happy, doesnt want to talk to me up at the glass and hides down the bottom of the tank or in the plants. What could be causing this? :(

17. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Salt is a stressor, plus these are freshwater fish, their bodies have to work harder to maintain osmotic pressure in their cells because with a higher concentration outside their body the water will naturally try to flow out and into the area of higher concentration. Normally freshwater fish maintain the appropriate salt levels in their tissues to prevent dehydration but if you add salt to their environment that means that they now have to actively control the flow through the cell membranes.

Yes, it's good for a few things but there are better options available with fewer side effects.

18. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

How long has it been since you moved her? Even though it's bigger she might be bummed about suddenly leaving her home, and a bit stressed.

She may just need to get used to her new home!

19. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Thanks Aqua! Well noted :)

1 Week i think, yea maybe she is just annoyed about leaving her cosy little home.
    Should i get her a tank buddy? Im unsure what to get, any ideas? :)

20. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

The only thing that might work with a Betta is a shrimp or snail I'm afraid.