To Get A Betta Or Not To Get A Betta

SpaceKitten
As the title says I am debating weather or not to get a betta.

I have a 10G with 4 guppies and a (mabye) betta
I need to know:

Am I going to be overstocked?
Will anybody be killed
Should I have a male or female betta ( I have female guppies)
Do they have the same food?

AJE
I have bettas with my guppies in my fifteen, go for it

BigManAquatics
My vote is for getting a betta as well

smee82
I wouldnt buy a betta to add to a tank with guppies you have no idea what his personality will be like.

SpaceKitten
Male or female?

Also

THANK YOU!!!

SpaceKitten
I wouldnt buy a betta to add to a tank with guppies you have no idea what his personality will be like.
How do you know it is a he?

paeanpaige
Male Bettas typically have more color and longer tails than females. They also probably say it on the container the betta comes in. When I got mine, it said "Male Betta" on it

SpaceKitten
Can you answer the questions please.

I’m going to my lfs because my filter broke, and I might get a betta but, I want my fish to live happy lives. Also some new questions.

Are they temp compatible?
Should I get a male or female?

Cats rule

paeanpaige

I’m going to my lfs because my filter broke, and I might get a betta but, I want my fish to live happy lives. Also some new questions.

Cats rule
I would say female bettas are less aggressive, but that leaves how aggressive your guppies are. and yes, they share the same temperature, so they are temperature compatible.

SpaceKitten
Male Bettas typically have more color and longer tails than females. They also probably say it on the container the betta comes in. When I got mine, it said "Male Betta" on it
I know how to sex a betta.

I meant why do you assume it is a he.

paeanpaige
probably because most bettas sold in stores are male. like walmart, I saw zero female bettas. and petco, I only saw female baby bettas. even then there were only two. males are more flashy so it makes sense they're sold more

SpaceKitten
Fair.

_IceFyre_
Keep in mind that females can be just as aggressive as males. There’s a fairly good chance that this will not work out, so I recommend having a backup plan, whether that is having a different tank set up or being able to return the betta.

SpaceKitten
Ok thank you.

AJE

Cats rule
Yes, they are our evil overlords. I keep a female with my guppies, they are generally more peaceful(lots of exceptions)

WanhiBetta
In a tank as small as 10g, any betta will most likely be very aggressive towards your other fish, so if you don't want any fish to get injured i'd recommend not to get a betta.

Marzahtha
I had a Betta with Platies. They co-existed with no issues in a 15H tank; same dimensions as a 10 gallon but taller. I currently have a Betta in a 10 gallon all by himself.

BettaNovice101
I'm weird, I know, and over cautious, and also probably too late, but Bettas see the tails on guppies especially fancy ones, as other Bettas, and therefore, need to be protected against, if you know what I mean. I would not put a Betta in with Fancy tailed guppies. But that's just me.

smee82

He is shorter then she I'm lazy and it doesn't sound nice. Male or female doesn't matter I wouldnt do it.

CanadianFishFan
Yeah I agree just be careful as the betta can become aggressive. 10 gallons isn't much for a betta and other fish. Not saying you can't try but just a heads up. Bettas normally don't like fast, flashy moving fish. Make sure tI keep us updated on your new betta and show us photos.

imba
4 guppies and a betta is a 10 gallon? I would say it's a bad idea really. Make sure there's a backup tank

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Anders247
20 Gallon Tank Guppies nipping at Betta.
Replies
Views
AquaDaBetta
Top Bottom