To Fertilize, Or Not

1. KarenW

KarenW Valued Member Member

Getting ready to plant a 20 g tall with 11 low-light plants. I also have 3 guppies, 3 platies, and 1 dwarf gourami.
    If I were to use a 24" Finnex Stingray LED, but no fertilizer, will my plants grow adequately enough to keep algae at bay and otherwise benefit quality of the water?

2. m

mbkemp Valued Member Member

Unfortunately the answer is maybe.... if algae develops adjust your light cycle down. I wouldn't start with more than 6-7 hours in the early stages

3. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Depends what low light plants, the slow growers generally don't need much fertilization but faster growing ones may need it, especially since fish food and waste contains nitrogen and phosphorus but not much potassium. I suggest you dim the lights a bit (if possible, I haven't used the finnex stingray so I'm not sure) because high lights without fertilization and CO2 = algae.

4. OP
    OP
    KarenW

5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

The sword and crypts will definitely like a root tab :) The others will probably be okay on their own, but ferts will help.

6. OP
    OP
    KarenW

Thanks again! Will try with just root tabs and see what happens.

7. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

The stingray is a great light, but be aware that it is considered a low light. I think you'd be ok with just the root tabs at first, if you need more you can always add it later...

8. OP
    OP
    KarenW

Thanks for your help! I got the plants in yesterday, all low-light, and I will try just the root tabs first.