To Do the Trio Or Not

Knightdrake1066

TL: DR-Should I dose all my tanks ive had for about a month with aquarium coop trio so everything has a fresh slate?

So I have had my fish for about a month. My wife and I have definitely developed MTS as we now have 3 planted and stocked tanks and plan for another 3 more....but I digress. Made all the mistakes and am doing in fish cycling...I know I will wait for the other new tanks to be cycled, but for now they all seem to be doing ok as far as water parameters, been doing weekly and sometimes biweekly 30% or more water changes and doing twice daily testing.

I have a 20 gallon guppy tank with 1 male and 6 female guppies, 6 various colored cherry shrimp, and 2 mystery snails. A 10 gallon tank that is currently acting as a quarantine tank to 2 panda cory's 2 albino corys and a bunch of new plants and 1 mystery snail. A 10 gal community tank with 3 peppered and 1 albino cory, 1 amano shrimp, 1 bamboo shrimp, 1 betta, 2 mystery snails, and 3 dwarf frogs (This was the first tank and seems to be doing the best). Have so far lost a couple of male guppies, 1 panda and 1 cory.

Now to my actual question:

I just read about the COOP medicine trio. I think some of my guppies have parasites (looks like they have wasting disease, not eating as much). Here is what I want to do:

Take out the two guppies and confine them to a hospital tank and do a normal dose of paracleanse (should I feed them while dosing or no? can't seem to find an answer). In addition I would like to do the coop trio preventative treatment to all my tanks and then start fresh (doing one treatment at a time over the next month and half just so as not to overstress my fish)

My wife is more cautious and would like to just quarantine and dose the sick guppies since all the other fish seem to be doing well.

What does the (internet) collective recommend?

Lucy

Hi welcome to FishLore!
What are the fish sick with that you would dose 3 medications at the same time.

Edit:
Just looked it up. Imo unless your fish have ich, a bacterial infection, fungal infection AND parasites, I wouldn't.
Don't want your fishies to build up a resistance to any meds in case you do need them.
Plus, ADF's don't get ich. Maracyn is safe fore them. Don't know about the parasite med.

Kinda like us taking an antibiotic before we are sick.

Here's a good write up from one of our members:
Hold the Antibiotics! Overuse and Resistance in the Aquarium Hobby | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 453975

Upvote 0

Broggy

the trio has been used on millions of fish at the aquarium co op store. im pretty sure the meds will be safe for your main tank, but why do you want to start over?

Upvote 0

Lucy

the trio has been used on millions of fish at the aquarium co op store. im pretty sure the meds will be safe for your main tank, but why do you want to start over?

Respectfully, Who is making a profit by recommending unnecessary medications. The entity selling them.

Kind of sounds more like the fish are feeling the effects of a fish in cycle.

Upvote 0

Broggy

I just wanted to make a point that it is safe for their main aquarium if that's what they wanted

Upvote 0

Lucy

I just wanted to make a point that it is safe for their main aquarium if that's what they wanted

Point taken. (if they had all those things wrong with them)

Upvote 0

Knightdrake

When I say "start fresh" I meant with all the fish Supposedly disease free

Upvote 0

Broggy

well, Lucy was right, I shouldn't recomend meds you don't need. I don't think you absolutely need to start fresh. did you quarantine the fish before you put them into the tank?

Upvote 0

Roman96

Even with the med trio, the fish won't be 100% disease free. Paracleanse may get tapeworms, but it won't get nematodes. Erythromycin (or Maracyn) may get rid of gram positive infections, but won't touch some gram negative. Ich x may get ich, but won't touch velvet. You see where this is going? You would have to have 20+ different meds to actually achieve "healthy" fish, and medicating for no reason can lead to even worse results.

Do you know the nitrate reading on your tank with the guppies? I've noticed that when nitrates get to high, fish act a tad bit lethargic and don't eat as much.

Upvote 0

Knightdrake

Even with the med trio, the fish won't be 100% disease free. Paracleanse may get tapeworms, but it won't get nematodes. Erythromycin (or Maracyn) may get rid of gram positive infections, but won't touch some gram negative. Ich x may get ich, but won't touch velvet. You see where this is going? You would have to have 20+ different meds to actually achieve healthy fish, and medicating for no reason can lead to even worse results.

Do you know the nitrate reading on your tank with the guppies? I've noticed that when nitrates get to high, fish act a tad bit lethargic and don't eat as much.
Nitrate is below 20
Here is a picture of the two that are currently in the hospital tank
well, Lucy was right, I shouldn't recomend meds you don't need. I don't think you absolutely need to start fresh. did you quarantine the fish before you put them into the tank?
No. They were some of the first we bought.

Attachments

• 16167928460442184592114382038815.jpg
    16167928460442184592114382038815.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 16167928707163318503933951128160.jpg
    16167928707163318503933951128160.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

Roman96

Nitrate is below 20
Here is a picture of the two that are currently in the hospital tank
If two have parasites, more than likely they all do. Best thing is to treat all the fish. They do look a bit skinny, I'd try feeding them a bit more for a couple weeks and see if they gain some weight. If not then I'd resort to meds.

Upvote 0

Knightdrake

So I shouldn't dose e
If two have parasites, more than likely they all do. Best thing is to treat all the fish. They do look a bit skinny, I'd try feeding them a bit more for a couple weeks and see if they gain some weight. If not then I'd resort to meds.

So I should wait before dosing the rest and see if these two get better or should I dose all the guppies with Para cleanse? I've already dosed the hospital tank with paracleanse.

Upvote 0

Roman96

So I shouldn't dose e

So I should wait before dosing the rest and see if these two get better or should I dose all the guppies with Para cleanse?
It's your decision, but you really don't know what parasites (if any) you are dealing with. If it's nematodes then Paracleanse won't do anything, you'd need levamisole or fenbendazole. I've never had any luck with Paracleanse/general cure personally because I've usually had to deal with nematodes like camallanus worms.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Water quality is the most important...doesn't matter what disease gets treated, if the fish is put back into poor water quality they will just get sick again.

Upvote 0

StLouisCardinalTetras

I personally dose all three at once. For the beginning fish keeper it’s nearly impossible to know exactly what is wrong with your fish. If you are doing it as a preventative though make sure to follow Cory’s instructions. If you are seeing some visible signs of something do some research. You might be able to find exactly what is wrong with your fish. Currently I have 10 tequila sunrise guppies and 14 cardinal tetras in my quarantine tank. For some reason all my guppies I get locally come with signs of camallanus worms and my cardinal tetras are also showing signs of it this time around. So what I do anytime I get guppies is the first week of quarantine I feed them a fenbendazole food once everyday and do one cycle of Fritz Expel P. I’ll post a link to the food I make but it’s just fenbendazole mixed with Repashy community plus. When doing the Expel P treatment leave tank lights off and you could even drape a sheet over your tank as the main chemical, levamisole, is light sensitive. Para cleanse will not treat camallanus and the fenbendazole and expel p won’t kill the eggs so it is important to follow up with the same treatment in 2 weeks. After the week of camallanus treatment, I do the quarantine trio the second week. If you don’t see any signs of camallanus do the quarantine trio the first week but I still suggest to feed them fenbendazole food every other day just in case the camallanus is in it’s early stages. All these meds are not harmful to fish. And as far as the fish building immunity to antibiotics, I’m not to worried about. I use a quarantine tank for all new fish coming in which I suggest for everybody to do so diseases coming into my display tank are rare. But if you are worried about them building immunity then do your research on how to look for bacterial infections and leave out the Maracyn during treatment. I quarantine my fish for 4 weeks. This gives me at least 2 weeks after treatments to monitor my fish for anything the trio missed. Also it allows me to do 2 full treatments of camallanus. I hope this helps.
Fenbendazole food recipe I found on another thread here:
“I did 1/8 tsp in 2 tablespoons of Repashy gel food. I also add a drops of garlic juice (cuz it's healthy for them and also disguises any bad taste medicines) and Epsom Salts to act as a laxative (helping them to expel worms should they have any).
So I add 1/4 teaspoon Epsom Salts to the boiling water needed for the Repashy gel food. I add the Fishbendazole after a minute or so to let food mixture cool a bit so that the boiling heat does not affect the medicine. It only takes 60 seconds to cool a bit, if you wait too long, it will make a blobby mess (which isn't too bad either cuz I break pieces up to feed my fish anyway).” So that is 1/8 teaspoon of fenbendazole in 2 tablespoons of repashy. I also recommend watching cory’s video on the quarantine trio of you haven’t already.
Also, if you find that your fish (my guppies) don’t want to eat at the bottom, as the repashy sinks, you can dip something in the repashy while it’s still warm. For me I took a cheap little bluegill lure and put it on a airline suction cup. This allows me to stick the food to the side of the tank at the top of the water column. I had no problems after that. I’ll post a picture of what I used. You can reheat the repashy after it is set in the microwave for around 10 seconds to redip what ever you use.
If you are having trouble cycling your tank I highly recommend Fritzzyme 7. But for lady resort you can always ask your LFS for some used filter media. Just be careful, it could carry disease.

Attachments

• 9E2A4038-81CE-4775-AE83-CCCE336B78C9.jpeg
    9E2A4038-81CE-4775-AE83-CCCE336B78C9.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 0

RUADJAI

FYI I saw you are dealing with a cycle too. Not saying this will happen to you but "the trio" did cause me to have a mini cycle when I used it, so It may slow down your cycle.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
HupGuppHup
Replies
Views
GinkoTracks
  • Question
Replies
Views
connorjs1004