To cull or not to cull

JRDroid

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The only reason I don't cull is my wife won't let me. she is attached to all the baby fish. I wanted to use the fry my platies to feed my blood red parrots. I think culling and using fry as food (even healthy ones) is perfectly acceptable, and even should be encouraged. I know next batch of fry my platies have are good no matter what, there is no room left in my 10 gallon.

chrisb01

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jetajockey said:
This could be due to my personal life though because I have a special needs child, so maybe I am subconsciously relating or personalizing things.
I also have a daughter with Cerebral Palsy.

At one time, years ago I used breed Angelfish for profit and I did a lot of culling. But I can't bring myself to killing a little fish because of a deformity now.

I still keep Angelfish, Guppies and a few other breeds of fish. I have Guppies that have the bent back also, I just let them live. My daughter likes looking at them with me, and she is happy that I do my best to keep them alive and comfortable. Maybe she identifies herself with them, and we (my daughter and I), are in this together.

However, I do see where some one who is in the game for profit or just the occasional sale, would want to keep the line pure.

I just wouldn't breed the deformed fish.

New Threads