To Centerpiece Fish Or Not To Centerpiece Fish?

Brokedowndancer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey all!

I'm what's commonly referred to as an "over planner" or "control freak" and am planning out a tank I do not yet have but am looking for advice.

I currently have a 10g tank with 3 peppered cory cats, 1 oto and 1 male guppy BUT in October my hubby and I are moving out of our condo and into a house (woooo!!!!!). No strata = many more fish!

We've agreed that something between a 40g and 75g would be appropriate. 55g is our goal but we'll go a little bigger or a little smaller based on either a) the needs of our centre piece fish and/or b) what size tank I can find a great deal on.

We're not experienced fish keepers but we're not complete newbies either (we know about cycling and stocking and appropriate filtration and the like). We've kept our current fish alive and seemingly happy for over a year but they are pretty sturdy little dudes!
When we move, we'd like to move our current fish into a bigger aquarium, increase the numbers on each species and add a few more. I'm planning to keep my 10g as a quarantine tank as we build up the population.

Anyway- the point of this post is to ask for realistic advice on stocking - before I get my heart set on an inappropriate species!

I am pretty set on having a school of at least 6 of the peppered cory's and 3 oto's but my guppy Spot is on the small side and not a particularly flashy guppy (I worry about him getting picked on) and I'm not interested in breeding so I am open to keeping him on his own and going with something other than guppies.

I've read conflicting reports of keeping dwarf gourami's in peaceful community tanks and some people swear that a pair of pearls are fine and others that they'll eat everything. I've read that I'd have to keep 1/2/3/6 honey gourami's to keep them happy.

Does anyone have practical experience on this? Does giving up guppies open up a world I haven't explored? Should I ditch the centerpiece idea and go for 4 schools? Have I completely missed an obvious species?? (I'm pretty "meh" on
Angels)

Someone please point me in a direction to research!

J J Carter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've been successful with one 3-spot gourami in a community tank, I tried two but they squabbled and the tank isn't big enough to try three. The one never bothers the other community fish or the SAE.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In a 55 or above I suggest 8-10 pepper corys, just an awesome, active fish and you’ll have room.

I got a pair honeys as “centerpiece “ fish for my 38. Kinda disappointed in them. The tank has 5 fancy guppies, 2 Dalmatian mollies and the gouramis don’t really stand out because everything else is so active.

I saw some awesome looking red dwarf gouramis at a new fish store last week. I’m going to get 1 or 2 for my 29 office tank but want to wait a month or so since the tank is new.

But to answer the original question, YES. Most of my tanks are just schools but I think a centerpiece fish makes a tank look so much better.

Have fun with your planning and goods luck.

Brokedowndancer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JJ- do you think it would matter if I went with a male or female? I've heard that all male gourami's will get territorial but will that matter if they're the only one of their species?

Hunter - I worried about that happening with honeys. They're pretty but I feel like it would be easy to over power them with some flashy guppies. Let me know how it goes with the red dwarfs- the more I learn from other people's experience, the better!

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep wondering where these people are getting "aggressive" Pearl Gouramis, as I've never seen one. Despite their size, Pearls are the most peaceful species I've ever kept. This even extends into their breeding, as the males seem to be relatively gentle with their females. The elegant appearance of male Pearls sort of makes it difficult for them to be aggressive, IMO. Too many frills and filaments hanging off their fins. Also, for their size, they are not likely to try and eat small fish, their mouth is relatively small for their body.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would suggest a moonlight gourami as a centrepiece. The rather large, but extremely peaceful!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom