Question To Carbon or not to Carbon this is the ????

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What coincidence... a few days after reading this post I came across a VERY interesting discussion on another forum. Because I know these people I can say you will NOT find anyone more qualified! They have been in the hobby for 40-50 years and have 50-100 tanks!

Specifically take note to what "JG" has to say.
http://tbas1.wiredtron.com/index.php?topic=537.0

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well this sucks, I just serviced my canister filter tonight and put new carbon in it, Well I think after going back and forth within my own mind and what I have read on the net including the information this knowlegeable guy has put out there (thanks for the link) I read the whole string very informitive indeed. At any rate I think Tomarrow or Monday I will open up my canister filter and just remove it altogether, it is just getting to conterversial IMO to keep using with my Discus and just not worth it to me. Besides I do so Many water changes like daily to everyothr day I really do not see why I would need to use it. I do have a 30 gallon running two HOBone Aqueon power filter 30 and one Aqueon power filter 20 and those filters come with it already in but it is a small amount and I only keep barbs, redtail shark, asmall pleco, and a couple of other small fish and seeing how the Hole in the head issue seems to be primarily with Large Cichlids I think I will be ok there.

With my cascade 1000 I have a well established colony of bacteria on the BIO sponge and the ceramic rings I think between that and the filter floss along with my constant water changes I think I will be goos to go and that at this point its not worth the risk to my very special very expensive fish to keep using it. I am new to Discus and I want to be succesful with them these fish are vry beautiful indeed and deserve special attention IMO.

By the way my water parameterswich I test every day (almost) and before and after water changes have been constant for the last three weeks are so, I used my aged filter the canister filter I ran it on my 30 gallon for about 5 - 6 weeks before I got and set up my 55 gallon so I knew it was broke in plus I took about 15 gallons of water from the 30 gallon to help establish the 55 gallon I still ran it like that for about two weeks before I introduced my first Discus, anyway my water paremters have been the same PH, 6.5 - GH, 5 - Temp, 86f - Nitrites, 0 - obviously no Amonia and I am not sre of the Nitrates but with al my WC I doubt I have any of that, I use a very good water conditioner and I have Ammo Lock on hand for just in case of emergency, I use a little more conditoner than recomended when I do my water changes just because I feel safer when I do I hope thats ok? I mean it says 5ml for ten gallon I would use like 7ml I guess thats cool to do? So all in all what would you say about my water levels and WC regimin? good bad fair what? OH and I went with the BB tank as well!!O0

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If your tank smells foul then I highly recommend adding it to your filter immediately.
One thing about this.If your tank smells,you should probably figure out why. Carbon will definitely get rid of any smell you have,but unless you have a lot of tanks in a closed room with no hoods on them,most hobbyist should not be having problems with odors from their tank.

With that said,I use to use carbon,but stopped because of the expense. When I want my water to look extra clean and polished,I will through some in a filter.I always have a container of it,I just don't use it very often.

It is also supposed to add some more suface area for BB to grow too. I'm not sure how much truth there is in that,especially if you are supposed to replace it every few weeks,but that might be another reason to have it in your filter. The only drawback to using it I see is the cost.

But having gone from using it,to having carbon free tanks,not using it doesn't hurt either.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well my tank does not smell at all and I do WC all the time I just thought that using it was like a preventitive maintence sort of thing, but after reading that one link This guy has like20 years experince in fact his job was/is to test carbon and its effects they have found reason to beleive that there is a direct corelation with the use of carbon and the dreadd Hole in the Head diease in large Chiclids the Discus included in that thats enougj for me to remove it on the Discus tank anyway, and beside with all the WC I really should not use it. as far as the Benifical bacteria goes I have a IO sponge anda large amount of ceramic rings that are both well established over 8 weeks running it so I think I willbe ok for the BIO filtration and tons of filter floss I have Ammo Lock on hand if need be and I use a good conditoner plus I test my water pretty much every day sometimes a couple times a day like befre and after a WC to see if anything changes it never does but I test anyway Ithink its just a good habit to get into testing the water all the time, thanks for your input!

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
As to the respect to gentleman in the link, I've been to this guy's house and I know his background. Not only did he breed Discus since the 70's but he has been around the world as researcher/developer and speaker on water treatments for drinking water, swimming pools and aquariums! He was kind enough to let me visit his house and show me the ins and outs of his facility. He has beautiful Discus, Angels and Apistos, I totally respect anything he has to say. And if he says to keep carbon out of Discus tanks, I don't question it!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom