To Cap Or Not To Cap?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by mmp4, Apr 16, 2017.

1. m

mmp4 Valued Member Member

Im using CaribSea Eco-Complete as my substrate for my 20g planted tank. I've just recently heard about people having to cap aquarium soil. Does that have to be capped to prevent it from moving? If so, what would I use?

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

You could use gravel. It makes it easier to cap off the soil with.

Sand is another option, but I prefer gravel.

3. OP
    OP
    m

Does the gravel have to be vacuumed to be cleaned and will it affect the soil?

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You do not need to cap EcoComplete. Capping is more for something like potting soil, a substrate that would otherwise cloud the tank if not capped.

5. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I used it and it was a complete disaster. Had to tear down the tank in a month. Had green slime all over.

Best wishes that you do not go through that. It seems to be a common issue with this product.

6. OP
    OP
    m

Thanks. I was confused and wanted to be sure before I added my plants

7. OP
    OP
    m

Was it caused soley by the substrate or could there have been other factors? Do you have any recommendations for a similar substrate?

8. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

It was the substrate. There was another thread that we talked about this issue. I will see if I can find it.

EDIT: here it is.
    Help - Magnetic Soil ?????

9. OP
    OP
    m

Thanks. I'll check it out

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice