To buy sick or healthy betta ?

MilaM

Hi,
while reading various posts and seeing images of beautiful bettas on this forum, i fell in love with them. i moved my guppy and platies to their new 20 g tank (finally cycled tank and happy fish , which made their old 10g tank available for a betta. while visiting Local pet smart yesterday, i noticed over 20 new bettas. Sales rep advised that they received a shipment two days ago and don't have even prices up yet as they need to let them settle for a few days. there were so many beautiful bettas. Some were very active, and some were at the bottom of the tank. One indigo blue one especially caught my attention. She was at the bottom with her body leaning to the glass. She may have been dead, or dying.

i keep thinking about it, and going to the store today and get it, if it is still alive.
is that smart idea? or should i just buy a healthy one?
i am probably going to get it, and try to save it, but need some advice. from your experience, does it make sense buying weak, probably dying betta?
it is so beautiful, and i can imagine how gorgeous it can be once well.

LadfromLondon

I’d say it depends on your knowledge and tenacity, not your experience. If you’re willing to learn, expect some fallbacks, and potentially an early death, then I’d go ahead get a sick Betta.

Having said that, if you were able to revive a Betta and keep it happy and healthy, it could be a very rewarding journey and we’d all be on here to help you! I know I speak for everyone in the community when I say we’ll all guide you on the way

Upvote 0

MilaM

I’d say it depends on your knowledge and tenacity, not your experience. If you’re willing to learn, expect some fallbacks, and potentially an early death, then I’d go ahead get a sick Betta.

Having said that, if you were able to revive a Betta and keep it happy and healthy, it could be a very rewarding journey and we’d all be on here to help you! I know I speak for everyone in the community when I say we’ll all guide you on the way
Thank you! i am definitely ready to fight for it. it would be really hard if it did die, but i hope for the best.

Upvote 0

LadfromLondon

Thank you! i am definitely ready to fight for it. it would be really hard if it did die, but i hope for the best.
I think once you get your Betta and have acclimated him, start a new thread on here where we can all give you a deeper insight into your Betta’s health, adaptation and behaviour

Upvote 0

MilaM

ok. i hope it is still alive. will keep you posted and it is great to have the support of this forum.

Upvote 0

Platylover

If you want her then you could get her, but I would advise asking for a price reduction. Betta splendens are one of the most abused fish imo and when you pay full price for a uncared for fish it sends the message that the abuse is ok. Why I’ve personally decided to never purchase live animals from a BBS, particularly the bettas.

A lot of BBS are willing to reduce the price if it’s obvious the fish is ill. Some not so much. When it comes the latter then it’s a decision whether to put that specific animals life above all others and support the ill practice or decide not to support it and not put other living animals into the same abusive situation.

So to me it doesn’t make sense buying a weak or dying betta unless the price is either free or reduced. Full price sends the message everything is a-ok, which it certainly is not.

Care wise, fishlore will likely be happy to help on any issues the betta May have. Just, as stated above, be prepared for the betta to die early or take a long time to heal. What they go through with BBS is very stressful and does a number in their little bodies.

Upvote 0

MilaM

yes, i know. i was happy to see them each in their little tank, not in some small cups. i donated over 50 fry to this store, they are really nice and helpful. i don't think the price would be an issue.

Upvote 0

Fisch

I know exactly how you feel. So many of them arrive at the store and you just see them in the little cups slowly wasting away.
I would say go for it, you don't have anything to lose. Gain of a beautiful fish if he makes it and the feeling of accomplishment. Gain of experience for sure, and if he does not make it you did the best you could.

Upvote 0

SeaMonkey06

I would go ahead and get the sick one. If you think you have the patience and are ready to experience potential loss, then I don't see why not. I always choose out the most beat up looking betta (which is not very, considering they're all kept in heated, filtered tanks where I live) and attempt to nurse them back to health. I've been successful most times, and I can tell you it's one of the most rewarding feelings to know that you bought them back into a stable and healthy condition.

All the best, and keep us updated!

Upvote 0

SanDiegoRedneck

Hi,
while reading various posts and seeing images of beautiful bettas on this forum, i fell in love with them. i moved my guppy and platies to their new 20 g tank (finally cycled tank and happy fish , which made their old 10g tank available for a betta. while visiting Local pet smart yesterday, i noticed over 20 new bettas. Sales rep advised that they received a shipment two days ago and don't have even prices up yet as they need to let them settle for a few days. there were so many beautiful bettas. Some were very active, and some were at the bottom of the tank. One indigo blue one especially caught my attention. She was at the bottom with her body leaning to the glass. She may have been dead, or dying.

i keep thinking about it, and going to the store today and get it, if it is still alive.
is that smart idea? or should i just buy a healthy one?
i am probably going to get it, and try to save it, but need some advice. from your experience, does it make sense buying weak, probably dying betta?
it is so beautiful, and i can imagine how gorgeous it can be once well.
I always get the sickest betta in store and medicate and bring back to life. Just my choice. I have 2 currently My starts n stripes is super healthy I've had him a while. Then I got a new one recently just getting color in. Stars in stripes so lazy he lays on deli lid I have blocking bubbles. Lol

I medicate with aquarium med trio. (Ich x, maracyn, paracleanse. Again some people disagree).
But if you get dog or cat from shelter, they get shots for kennel cough plus lots others. I do the same for my fish. Just my personal preference. So I lightly med all my fish when new. Then if bad med more

Attachments

• 20200617_215312.jpg
    20200617_215312.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200617_215305.jpg
    20200617_215305.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200617_215339.jpg
    20200617_215339.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200525_135616.jpg
    20200525_135616.jpg