To Betta Or Not To Betta

1. itsayes

itsayes Member Member

So I've had a 5.5 gallon tank sitting on my bedside table for what seems like months now.

It is currently fishless. It has some plants, a small piece of spider wood and some rocks.

I bought the small fluval co2 kit but have not added it yet. Was debating going high tech and mostly planted tank with possible shrimp.

Considered 6 cpds as the stocking previously but I'm leaning towards something else now.

Seeing all the betta keepers on this forum kinda makes me want one.

What say you fishlore?

878bc27bee6832318cff79d0e5a20a0e.jpg

2. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I always say yes to a Betta! With that said, go with what would make you the happiest. Shrimp are great and can be entertaining (I just started a 5.5 RCS tank) but Bettas have tons of personality and they build a relationship with their caregiver.
    No experience with CPD's but they are adorable!

3. OP
    OP
    itsayes

itsayes Member Member

A little more info...

Super hard water with ph of 8.2

Is that ok for a betta?

4. Sen

Sen Member Member

Agreeing with what Tempestt said, with a few notes from me:

1. If you're thinking of getting a betta, you might want to add a few things bettas like to the tank? Bettas can feel insecure and get stressed if they don't have at least one place to hide in the tank (usually a plant with wide leaves or a little hollow decoration work really well. Bettas also love the floating betta logs, I think). Also, it's nice if a betta has a little spot near the surface they can rest at and take little air sips from. Plenty of betta owners use the ZooMed betta hammock; I use anubias myself.

2. Be prepared to potentially need to cover up some of the tank so your eventual betta doesn't see his/her reflection in the glass and try to attack it. Also, putting little knickknacks outside the tank for your betta to look at can keep them occupied so they don't get bored.

Bettas are pretty hardy fish, so I think one will do okay in 8.2 pH water? I don't know if that's necessarily the most ideal, but it shouldn't hurt them a lot, I think. More reading here: Can a betta do ok in 8.0 pH?

5. OP
    OP
    itsayes

itsayes Member Member

Thank you for the input.

LFS sells RO for $.25/gallon so that would be doable for a 5.5 and their only ten minutes away.

6. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I have a PH of between 8.2 to 8.4.

Seven bettas and they're all doing awesome.

I prefer HMPKs, plakats, and females. The fins tend to have less a chance of getting fin rot, torn fins, and other issues. Plus, you can use any decor you want without worry of their fins getting ripped!

Bettas are usually okay with ghost shrimp and netrite snails (not always, but they're usually okay). Amano shrimp sometimes work, too. The tiny colorful shrimp I've had less luck with.

EBay and Aquabid have awesome looking bettas if you want something unlike what most pet stores sell.

Bettas have a lot of personalities. They're one of the few fish I own that I can distinguish by personality alone and not just their looks.

7. OP
    OP
    itsayes

itsayes Member Member

Awesome. My research will begin tonight. Totally clueless on the different types.

My LFS said I could do 2 wild betta in the same tank. Thoughts?

8. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I've kept Bettas in super hard water and they've all done great.

9. B

Betta splendens or another species?

I can do a write up about the different tail types if you want (at least the ones I've owned). :)
    Give me one second to take some pictures...

10. OP
    OP
    itsayes

itsayes Member Member

I'll have to find out for sure. When he recommended I didn't think I was interested so I didn't ask many questions.

Edit: and I would love to see your write up and pics!

11. B

Plakat -
    Pros:
    Better swimmers
    More options for decor

image.jpg

---

Halfmoon Plakat (HMPK) -
    Pros:
    Better swimmers
    More options for decor

Cons:
    Can be hard to find in a LFS. May have to be ordered online.

(These halfmoon plakats are also elephant eared bettas.)

image.jpg
    image.jpg

---

Halfmoon betta (HM) -
    Pros:
    Common
    Flashy

Cons:
    Less choices with decor
    More chances of a minor fin rip turning into a big issue.
    image.jpg

---

Delta tail -
    Pros:
    Common
    Flashy

Cons:
    Less choices with decor
    More chances of a minor fin rip turning into a big issue.

image.jpg

---

Double tail betta -
    Same as above.

---

Veiltail betta -
    Pros:
    Cheap
    Common

Cons:
    Less choice with decor
    Usually come in more common colors at pet stores (ex. All red, all blue).

image.jpg

---

Crowntail betta -
    Pros:
    Common
    Flashier than veiltails
    More choice with decor

image.jpg

---

Female bettas -

Pros:
    More choice with decor
    Common
    Cheap
    Better swimmers

image.jpg

---

Rosetail bettas -
    Pros:
    Very flashy

Cons:
    Tend to have a lot more fin issues. Do best in shallow tanks.
    Decor must be chosen very carefully.

image.jpg

Attached Files:

12. OP
    OP
    itsayes

itsayes Member Member

Thank you so much. Gave me a great starting point for research. Really like the looks of the half moon plakat a lot!

13. OP
    OP
    itsayes

itsayes Member Member

14. B

Aqueon Quietflow 10 should be fine. If you have a Petco around you they sell a big block of coarse black sponge for aquariums for $5. You can use it to baffle the filter flow and the intake. :)

image.jpg

Also halfmoon plakats are good swimmers, so no issues with moving around or a little current for them. :)

Let me know if you're buying online, I'll keep an eye out on EBay for good looking *halfmoon plakats if that's which tail type you want. :)

15. OP
    OP
    itsayes

itsayes Member Member

I appreciate the help and offer! I'm going to decide on which type over the weekend hopefully and get back to you!

Also will talk to LFS again about their recommendations and report back. It's not your standard LFS with sketchy advice, I trust them.

16. B

You're welcome! Message me if you decide to go the online route - if you give me a budget and a color you're looking for I'll likely be able to find something. I check EBay's bettas almost every night because they're so pretty. XD