55 Gallon Tank To add with SDs and Syno Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashEHC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm upgrading my tank from the 29g to the 55g next week, and I want to plan out my tank a little better this time. So far I have 3 silver dollars and 1 synodontis catfish. I want to say it's some kind of hybrid because it kind of looks like a featherfin, but the pattern is much different. It's about 6" in length right now. Anway, I was thinking of having two possible stocks:

3 SDs
1 Syno Cat
1 RTS
8 Preacox Rainbowfish (Neon Dwarf)

OR

3 SDs
1 Syno Cat
1 RTS
5 Bosemani Rainbowfish

Has anyone had any success with an RTS and a featherfin? Will the Neon Dwarfs be too small for the RTS? Are my options overstocked?

Appreciate it,

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the catfish but he's big enough to keep with a shark but i can tell you that I keep a RTS with 5 Giant Danios (grow to approx. 4") with no problems in my 55g. I think the Neon Dwarfs would be too small to keep with the shark. As for the other Rainbows it could be a hit or a miss. Since they are active I lean toward more of a hit. Adding the shark last is also a good idea. He will cruise the whole bottom of the tank or at least mine dose. They are a great fish.

OP
crashEHC

crashEHC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, the more I was thinking about it the more I was leaning towards the larger rainbows (4"-5") if I were to add the RTS. Do you think the 55g tank is big enough to house all of those fish? I don't want to put myself in the same position I am currently with an overstocked tank. The second option puts me at 43"-49" of fish.

Appreciate the advice of putting in the RTS last. I was going to do that, but it's nice to get confirmation.

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Perhaps choosing Turquoise/Katubu Rainbows over Bosemani may be a safer bet?

Over the last month, while reading up on various fish (initially Bosemani and Katubu), I've read in several places that the Katubus are the most boisterous of the rainbow species, perhaps making them better "sparring mates" for the Red Tail Shark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.3%

Top Bottom