To add or not to add

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I am trying to decide if I should add more fish to my 55 gallon. I would like to add something else but can't decide on what to add, any suggestions? I already have really good filtration on my tank and I am going to add another one of my custom filters to really help the tank, though as it is I have no problems with ammonia, nitrate or nitrite. Just wondering what other people think and would like suggestions for which fish! :;bananagreen

here is my current stocking list:
6 Tiger barbs; 5 Giant Danios; 3 turquoise rainbowfish; 3 Zebra loaches; 2 pictus catfish

What about a dwarf gourami, I really like them but not to sure with my current fish.

Last edited:

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you wanna go wild.... I recommend ... ELEPHANT NOSE! Thought I'm not sure if your tank would be totally suitable. Elephant nose's are apparently quite delicate, so can't be with any agressive fish, which Tiger's can be. Not sure about the others. I've also heard from a friend they seem to grow to their tank. She kept one in a 70L tank for about 7months and it stayed 12cm then when she moved it to a larger tank, it grew to 20cm. They apparently hover around 20-25cm sized adults, but some have gotten to 35cm.

http://www.fish-tank-guide.com/fish/elephantnosefish.html

I really want one of my own, but as they are quite expensive here ($40aud) I'm waiting til I'm back home. I don't wanna buy one, keep it for 3months, ship it and have it die!
GL

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They do look cool, I am not sure how they would be with my pictus. I don't know if any of the LFS here have them though. Thanks for the suggestion

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think you should build up the schools you have rather than add another species. i bet youre tank is SUPER active, and there arent many single fish you can add that can handle it.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd add to the schools that you have to. More Rainbows & more Tiger barbs. IMO an Elephant Nose wouldn't be suitable with your current stocking list.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Poor mr Elephant nose
Strangely my LFS has quite a few rare fish, but low stocks on the common! They don't have many tetras or anything. Amazing collection of Bettas though. Different types and colours, and their females are amazing. Sigghh.

The suggestion of more rainbows sounds pretty though.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rainbows are cool. Very colourfull to. I love Elephant Nose but they don't do well with highly active or aggressive fish. Elephant Nose tend to aggravate other fish with thier constant pulsing. That makes the other fishes aggression worse which stresses the Elephant Nose more, making it pulse more, which aggravates the other fish more. Round & round it goes. Most Elephant Nose species are best in a species tank or some of them can be kept with large non aggressive tankmates that the pulsing won't bother too much.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I might add more rainbows and maybe some TBs. Just out of curiosity how do you think the blind cave tetras would do in my setup, I wouldn't actually get them I was just wondering.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom