To add or not to add??

Ssnaaiil

Well Known
I am receiving hornwort in the mail today but since I have ordered it I have been reading a lot about it and realized I may have made a mistake :eek: I have been reading of people adding it to their tank and it just shedding everywhere making a huge mess! I don’t really want a huge mess in my tank but I don’t want to just throw out the plant! What do I do? Plant it and hope for the best? I’ve also heard heated tank can make it shed more!!! And my tank is heated to 78/79.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Yep, it sheds. It will clog up your filter intake if it sheds enough. Maybe try putting a sponge over the intake and see how it goes?
If worst comes to worst, you end up chucking it in a bowl and using it as a centerpiece for your kitchen table.

BusterBot28

When I had it it stops shedding after a couple weeks and then was fine until I ripped it out to rescape.

OP
Ssnaaiil

Ssnaaiil

Well Known
I guess I’ll just try it and see how it goes, fingers crossed :emoji_fingers_crossed:

OP
Ssnaaiil

Ssnaaiil

Well Known
Well less than 20 hours later and I took it out and put it in the trash! I just hate to look of a messy tank and the hornwort was shedding EVERYWHERE! I know that it will do that white getting used to a new tank and that it may stop after it’s established, but I just couldn’t stand to look at it anyway. I will definitely make sure I do plenty of research before buying plants again. LESSON LEARNED

New Threads