To add or not to add carbon?

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
if this is in the wrong spot...

I was just about to add carbon into my planted tank when I remembered that I have drift wood in there... which releases tannins. So, my question is, do bettas and cories benefit from the tannins? I think the cories do but I'm not sure...

if they do I won't put any carbon in.

Thanks in advance!

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I hope someone responds to this as I was just about to ask the exact same question. Although I want to rid my tank of tannons. When you use them, do you just throw them inside one of those media bags and straight into the filter or do you use the stock cartridge that the filter came with and just rip off the floss pad and lay them in there, then what?

fraserm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have carbon with my corys and I have driftwood don't have any problems they just go on as normal.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
what about my question??

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't know of any fish that REQUIRE tannis, to my knowledge all it does is turn the water brown and alter pH (sometimes). Carbon will suck that brown water and the tannis out of your tank as long as your wood puts it out (it won't always, as it ages it will leech out less and less).

I am not a fish expert, by all means, but I haven't ever heard of a fish needing tannis.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ranga, you can use either...

I use the bag method.

I don't think that the stock ones work as well though. sorry for the post.

ive read that having tannins reduces stress with south american cichlids and is helpful for breeding them, but it probably isn't true.

so, put the carbon in?

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yep, its already has some in as it came with the filter, so i was just wondering if i should keep changing the carbon. If i need to i will, but only when the tannons get too noticeable. how often should i expect to have to replace it?

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Activated carbon lasts less than 3 weeks. Alot of people just put in some carbon for one weekend or week a month to keep odors down, clean out meds, or clear the water. You can buy it in a jug most places for like $5 or so, then just put it in the foot of pantyhose and drop it in your filter.

More people will come along to tell you exactly how long it lasts.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do i just put it in one of those filter sock type bags.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ranga97 said:
Do i just put it in one of those filter sock type bags.
Sure if you have one, but if you don't have one then don't spend the money. Go to a drug store and pick up a pair of 75c kneehighs and put some in one of those and drop it in your filter.

I keep 3 brand new pairs of knee highs in my tank stand for stuff like that. I use them for carbon, egg shells (for my snails calcium), to filter black worms out of nasty water...all kinds of stuff, they are cheap and disposable

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A drug store? do you mean a pharmacy? I'm not really sure...

anyway, my carbon says it lasts 6-8 weeks, which I thought was weird because I thought it lasted a week... and kupcake thought 3 weeks... So this is becoming more confusing...

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Its shorter than 3 weeks, I don't know exactly how long (between 1 and 3 weeks).

And I am talking about a pharmacy get a pair of panty hose...you know, the things that women wear under their dresses on their legs They are perfect for carbon, adding calcium...tons of stuff, and they are CHEAP!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Carbon will last between 3days & 8 weeks. It just depends on how much stuff it has to soak up. In tanks with wood that release lots of tannins it might only last a few days but in tanks that don't have many pollutant in them it might last 6-8 weeks. You will soon know when it needs replacing as the water will not be quite as clear as it was when the carbon was fully effective. You will notice the difference & you'll know when to change it. Carbon in most planted tanks is a bad idea. It removes heavy metals such as iron from the water as well as a few of the other nutrients.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cool thanks, Ill keep up with the carbon when needed, and i don't think the two java ferns i have will be affected greatly.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads