tmc aquaray bars LEDs

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Lighting' started by Neil Skelding, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Neil SkeldingValued MemberMember

Anyone used these tmc aquaray are the any good and worth using them?

2. MikeFishloreAdmin Moderator Member

Hi - not sure if those are good enough, e.g. if they emit enough light to grow corals. Do you have access to the PAR readings at different depths?

For a fish-only or fowlr they are likely fine.

3. Neil SkeldingValued MemberMember

Not sure on spec bit ill be adding coral once I get LEDs

4. SlugWell Known MemberMember

Depends on the fixture as well. Some of their offerings I'd be concerned about. I generally recommend sticking to the big proven names in the industry. Yes they are more expensive, but the quality and proven growth is worth it. After all your lights are one of the main aspects of successful reef keeping, skimping here is not the best. However Aquaray is not a US thing so over on your side of the pond that might be a perfectly legit proven brand. Over here it's not.

With that being said, I think these are mostly a Euro/England thing. You won't find many if anyone using these in the states. And some of them may just fine depending on your tank size and the light model you choose. They WILL grow something, they are Cree diodes (XT-E XR-E which I have personally used) which are some of the best in the business, so I KNOW they will grow something but again that depends on the tank size and fixture pairing, height it's at, etc. Having a nice light on a tank that doesn't have a full spread of the tank or has the height/intensity wrong is just as bad as having a LED fixture right on top of the coral. I haven't found an example of anyone using these long term though like you see with Radions, AI, Kessil, etc so it's hard for me to say if they would be successful in that aspect but the diodes they are using will grow coral in the correct combination.