Tired of making mistakes

MikeNorris

Hello and thanks for reading. I started a 10 gallon a month ago. It was a kit from petsmart with a filter, heater, air pump, and air bar. I bought gravel and some fake plants, put it together, treated the water with "Start Right" from Jungle and "Quick Start" from API then waited a day and bought 4 mollies and 6 cherry barbs and a otocinculus.

I started watching YouTube, bought a water test kit and started educating myself. Then realizing that the tank was over crowded so I bought some water wisteria and java fern to help with water quality. After adding them to the tank within a week I noticed ick on the mollies! So I bought and treated the tank as per label directions with API Super Ich Cure. Not knowing that barbs couldn't handle the medicine. They all died...

So long story short I'm left with three mollies and a otocinclus. The ammonia and nitrites have spiked and dropped and the nitrate has risen so am keeping a every two day 2.5 gallon water change regimen until the nitrates lower.

I think I've made almost every new fish keeper mistake so far but am hopeful I'm headed in the right direction.

Any advice? I'm sick of making all these mistakes with these poor fish.

BlackSkirtTetra

All I can say was this was just the result of an Uncycled tank. If you keep regular water changes, it should reduce the impact the water quality has on your fish.

H Farnsworth

Ahh yeah this happens. Just say whatever and keep going. I don’t believe in those quick start products. Just do some water changes and hope for the best. Start with a 50% today and do a 10% daily to keep the remaining fish stable.

saltwater60

Also do t add anymore fish until you’re cycle is complete.

Oak77

I just got a tank started for the second time in 20 years. I learning everything again. I just put fish in my tank on the 23rd. Two suggestions my LFS gave me besides water conditioner of course, was add one species then check water and add second species, etc, etc, and secondly was to add quick start immediately before adding fish. They also suggested dosing tank daily for the first week with half the recommended dose of quick start.

Good luck. I hope you don’t lose anymore fish. and welcome. I’ve learned a ton from being on here. Everyone has been very helpful.

mattgirl

MikeNorris said:
Hello and thanks for reading. I started a 10 gallon a month ago. It was a kit from petsmart with a filter, heater, air pump, and air bar. I bought gravel and some fake plants, put it together, treated the water with "Start Right" from Jungle and "Quick Start" from API then waited a day and bought 4 mollies and 6 cherry barbs and a otocinculus.

I started watching YouTube, bought a water test kit and started educating myself. Then realizing that the tank was over crowded so I bought some water wisteria and java fern to help with water quality. After adding them to the tank within a week I noticed ick on the mollies! So I bought and treated the tank as per label directions with API Super Ich Cure. Not knowing that barbs couldn't handle the medicine. They all died...

So long story short I'm left with three mollies and a otocinclus. The ammonia and nitrites have spiked and dropped and the nitrate has risen so am keeping a every two day 2.5 gallon water change regimen until the nitrates lower.

I think I've made almost every new fish keeper mistake so far but am hopeful I'm headed in the right direction.

Welcome to Fishlore

Now that both ammonia and nitrites have spiked and are now holding steady at zero your cycle is complete. It is now just a matter of keeping the nitrates down with water changes. Some folks say it is best to keep them 20 or below. Others are comfortable at keeping them 40 or below.

Base your water change on the nitrate number. Personally I do 50% water changes on all my tanks every week. By doing so it keeps the nitrates down to levels I am comfortable with. They are higher in my 55 gallon heavily stocked tank than they are in my smaller tank.

The well known secret to a healthy tank is fresh clean water. As long as the water you are replacing is temp matched and has water conditioner added if needed large water changes can only help you keep a healthy tank. I would change out no less than half the water in a 10 gallon tank every week but even more wouldn't hurt.

Algonquin

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a 10 gallon is too small a tank for mollies... they get fairly big and ideally should be in about a 30 gallon tank - sorry
The main thing right now though is that you are keeping them healthy, and ensuring their environment is safe and clean. First things first!

Basil

Welcome to Fishlore Mike! I got back into fish after a 35+ year hiatus and everyone here has been more than helpful! Of course, I also had to figure out a ton of things in my own.
I’ve not heard that barbs are sensitive to ich meds. I’ve used Super ich cure but only at half dose as it was for loaches who are know to be super sensitive.
But I will add that in my experience, cherry barbs seem to be sensitive to an unstable tank and fluctuating water parameters such as ph shifts (ask me how I know We all make huge mistakes).

MikeNorris

Algonquin said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a 10 gallon is too small a tank for mollies... they get fairly big and ideally should be in about a 30 gallon tank - sorry
The main thing right now though is that you are keeping them healthy, and ensuring their environment is safe and clean. First things first!
Thanks I didn't know that about the mollies. Sounds like a good excuse for a larger tank.

Algonquin

MikeNorris said:
Sounds like a good excuse for a larger tank
The 10 gallon would make a good QT while you're stocking your new 30 gallon!

MikeNorris

Here is a picture

H Farnsworth

Nice looking tank

cantremember

The silver lining is that this solved the overcrowding problem.

Basil

Pretty tank!
So you might think you’re making tons of mistakes. But if we learn from them, than they can be turned positive.
I’ve learned from your mistake.
I put 5 cherry barbs in my quarantine tank last Saturday. I also transferred my lone cherry girl into that tank also.
The tank I took the lone girl from has an ich outbreak that I didn’t notice until after I had moved her. It’s a long story, sigh, it’s my problem tank.
So of course, now I see two new cherries with one white spot each.
But because of your Issue with Super Ich cure possibly killing your cherry barbs, I’m being conservative and only added a half dose. If all looks ok, I’ll add another half dose in 24 hours. Then wait the 48 hours and add the next dose broken down as two half doses.

juniperlea

MikeNorris said:

The fact that you admitted "I think I've made almost every new fish keeper mistake so far but am hopeful I'm headed in the right direction" makes me feel better about having done the same thing!!!!

What I learned:

1. I did what you did.

2. I leanred that Otos in a new tank is cruel. However, as newbies, perhaps we can be forgiven because we were not adequately advised at the pet store and we didn't know how to ask the right questions.

3. When I cycle a tank, I use Microbe-Lift in lieu of frequent water changes.

MikeNorris

juniperlea said:
The fact that you admitted "I think I've made almost every new fish keeper mistake so far but am hopeful I'm headed in the right direction" makes me feel better about having done the same thing!!!!

What I learned:

1. I did what you did.

2. I leanred that Otos in a new tank is cruel. However, as newbies, perhaps we can be forgiven because we were not adequately advised at the pet store and we didn't know how to ask the right questions.

3. When I cycle a tank, I use Microbe-Lift in lieu of frequent water changes.
I've never seen or used "microbe-lift" what is it? Which formula do you use?

Fljoe

MikeNorris said:
Thanks I didn't know that about the mollies. Sounds like a good excuse for a larger tank.
I’m sure your mollies are juveniles like mine. It could take them a year or two to get full size. You will be fine with 4 mollies for some time.

MikeNorris said:
Here is a picture
Is that a Dalmatian mollie I see? That is a pretty tank. I love my mollies. They have so much personality.

MikeNorris said:

You didn’t do anything wrong. Like most of us newbies, we trust that the LPS has the best information and advice for setting up the tanks and fish they sell. I did the same as you. I bought the pet smart 55 gallon kit, and stocked it after 24 hours. Then I found this forum when I had questions.
the key to your success is large water changes. Although your water parameters tell me you have a cycled tank, in a smaller tank the water parameters could change quickly. Keep testing daily and do water changes as readings call for.

juniperlea

MikeNorris said:
I've never seen or used "microbe-lift" what is it? Which formula do you use?
I recently gutted my 75 gallon (pest snail infestation). I removed all the fish and bleached the tank. I also used Cisapride in the filter as well as bleach. I used this product to cycle the 75 gallon. I replaced the fish, and not surprisingly, experienced massive bacteria bloom. I let it run its' course. And, I never had any high ammonia or nitrite levels. Nitrates were on target. It took about two or 2 1/2 weeks. I lost my smallest fish, which was a half inch Harlequin Rasbora.But, all inhabitants, including my 8 glass catfish continue to thrive.

yeahsure

I think that it sounds like you really want to learn, you’ll grt the hang of it eventually

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom