Tire Track Eel Tankmates

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by CrisisQuaid, Apr 15, 2018.

1. CrisisQuaid

CrisisQuaid Valued Member Member

Hey all! Tomorrow I’m getting a tire Track Eel. I currently have a baby Flowerhorn in my 75 gallon tank. My question is, what are the odds of a flowerhorn coexisting well with a TT Eel? I know FHs are known for being aggressive. If I introduce the eel while the FH is a baby do you think he would learn to tolerate him? If not I would be willing to move the Flowerhorn, in that case if someone could recommend other tank mates I would greatly appreciate it!

2. A

AshyMurphy New Member Member

I've had lots of TT eels in the last few years and had them with all types of aggressive fish like Oscars, Convicts and flower horns and never once had a problem just make sure the TT eel has plenty of nooks and cranny's he can hide in (",)

3. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Flower horns don’t really get along with others except for these ones : jaguar cichlid, tiger oscar, black pacu, leopard pleco you could try I guess

4. OP
    OP
    CrisisQuaid

Thanks, I’ll try it out, check for any aggression, and if it gets out of hand I’ll pull the FH out

5. A

Once the TT eel has hiding places he will be perfectly ok :)

6. OP
    OP
    CrisisQuaid

As a baby do you think the FH will care at all? Or does the aggression in them tend to start later on? I don’t have a ton of hiding places yet.

7. A

It depends on the FH itself some start aggression really young and some a bit later. you could pick up some thin PVC pipe for the mean time that would work perfect for him to hide (",)

8. abijitto

abijitto Valued Member Member

I have kept them many times. None of my fish ever touched them. Just one exception when my mbuna cichlid killed 3 of them in two days after introduction! I kept them with an Oscar and so thought that they may also be able to go along with mbuna. This was my biggest mistake lol.

9. A

yeah i have heard of them killing other big fish lol they can be so aggressive. I think that they dont find a TT Eel any threat or competition, thats just my opinion tho as i said i have kept them together without any problems at all but in saying that there were plenty of hiding places for the TT eels :)

10. OP
    OP
    CrisisQuaid

Thanks a ton!

11. A

No problem at all, keep me posted on how you get on :)

12. OP
    OP
    CrisisQuaid

So when feeding a TT Eel, do I feed him the actual frozen block of blood worms? Or do I let it thaw?

13. A

What i do is put the blood worm cube into a cup with some of the aquarium water and stir it until it thaws then make sure you leave some around the bottom of the aquarium that way he will always find them. i still do that to this day to make sure everybody in the tank will get some

14. OP
    OP
    CrisisQuaid

If I buy ghost shrimp, would the eel eat it? He doesn’t seem to want frozen blood worms rn

Or is it too early to start worrying? I just want the little guy to eat haha. Right now I’m putting bloodworm cubes into a water bottle and submerging it so only he can reach the food.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
  15. A

Sorry for the late reply, was on hols! i dont know about him eating ghost shrimp you should maybe try brine shrimp or daphnia. there alot smaller and easier him to eat :)

16. OP
    OP
    CrisisQuaid

I have him brine shrimp, he nibbled a little bit which gives me hope. Only thing is since he is the only one in the tank, it’s polluting the water a lot.

17. A

only put in a little bit. dont worry he WILL find it they have amazing sense of smell :)

18. OP
    OP
    CrisisQuaid

He fo
    He found his way out of my lid, I have no idea how but he died :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice