Tire Track Eel Not Eating

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by CrisisQuaid, Apr 20, 2018.

1. CrisisQuaid

CrisisQuaidValued MemberMember

Hey guys! A couple of days ago I got a tire Track Eel. He’s really awesome, but he doesn’t seem to come out of hiding at all. I have checked on him in the middle of the night with all the lights off, and he just doesn’t seem to come out. I’m worried he isn’t eating, what should I do?

2. Rohit mess

Rohit messValued MemberMember

What else is in the tank? Fishes, inverts? Give eel some time. Fishes do this whwn in new place. They will be okay upto one week easily without eating normally.
    Add a pic of tank. It may help.
    Some fishes tend to stay in a safe spot and avoid open water, especially when there are another big fishes.
    Try giving him live fish to eat (some pets can be made to start to eat live fish in auch cases and then turn them slowly to pellets). I recommend to QT the feeder fish.

3. OP
    OP
    CrisisQuaid

He’s the only fish in the tank rn, he has started moving around more. Where would you suggest getting live food from? Only thing my near buy pet stores sell that i could find was ghost shrimp, would he eat those?

This is my tank rn, I may or may not re arrange the tank later.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
  4. Rohit mess

Tank is nice and simple with needed sace to hide behind those rocks.
    You can give him shrimp or any nano fish, he will eat anything small enough to fit in his mouth.
    He will come out and relax in a week. Give him time to settle.
    Also ask the lfs what they used to feed him earlier. Try and see if that works.

5. OP
    OP
    CrisisQuaid

Thank you, I will try that. But now I’m dealing with the little devil and his inner need to make a house out of my filter

6. Rohit mess

Yeah he will do that. Cover the opening with the sponge. As simple as that.

7. Alex Pasquale

Alex PasqualeValued MemberMember

Give him some time. Most of the time when fish don't eat right away after getting them, they aren't use to their surroundings. Also make sure to check with whoever you bought it from that they didn't feed the Eel live foods or anything, sometimes it could be a pain switching them over, but eventually it will eat. Make sure you check your water parameters to be sure you don't have a sudden ammonia spike or nitrate spike, if all is good, give it a few more days and try feeding again. Also you could try a different kind of food, maybe some frozen brine shrimp, krill, or something of that sort. Let me know if you need anything.

8. OP
    OP
    CrisisQuaid

I’ll have to watch him do it today, I thought I covered all the holes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice