Tire Track Eel Help And Tank Design

Alice Wright

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a tire track eel (about 25cm) and was wondering about how to sex it? Also my tank has no substrate and I know they like to bury themselves and wondered if anyone had any ideas on making bankings in tanks? I don’t have substrate due to how messy my flowerhorns are but wondered if a relatively sturdy banking would suffice for it to bury in. Will try to get a pic of the eel when it comes out from hiding

Alice Wright

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
First off, I’d get the eel out of there before the flowerhorns kill it. They are VERY aggressive fish and eels are defenceless.

That being said, sand is best, people recommend either pool filter sand or black diamond blasting sand.
The eel and flowerhorns have been together over 6 months and I HATE it when people assume all of them are aggressive. Given the right environment, a large tank and space, flowerhorns are actually quite peaceful. They get along just fine and even share food

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Suit yourself.

I don’t think you can sex the eels unless you can get them into breeding conditions. I’ve never heard of sexing them.

Sand I find is actually great for big fish because it’s so easy to clean up after them.

Alice Wright

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
32456CCD-E629-4052-98D4-AA1A8AE9A28C.jpeg
C60A0BC7-ACD9-427E-8E9F-707E7DA07218.jpeg
B251FFC1-43C8-4B24-9591-F728CA33A28D.jpeg
Decided on sand, he’s made a cave under some bogwood but I haven’t seen his digging behaviour yet. Here’s some photos of him

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom