Tips, Tricks And Advice For Transitioning Into A Planted Tank? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Yarisaurus, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Yarisaurus

YarisaurusNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year
    So I'm considering transitioning from the fake silk/plastic plants to live plants in my aquarium. Currently, I have gravel substrate. Aside from the plastic plants I have a pretty large resin "piece of driftwood." I have an actual portion of an actual piece of driftwood on its way. Otherwise, I've got a 20 gallon tall tank (transitioned about 3 weeks ago from a 10 gal). I have 2 filters running: marineland penguin 100 and a top fin silen stream 10 (original filter from my 10 gal). I have 2 small air stones running on opposite ends of the tank, as well as a Fluval LED light that's set to run for about 8-9 hours a day and a water a heater. All my water levels (ammonia, nitrites = 0; pH=7.5; nitrates = 5-10) seem pretty okay to me. As far what it's stocked with: 5 zebra danio, 3 guppies, 1 super red bn pleco, and 1 nerite snail. Oh! And I currently have 2 vines of pothos in one of my filters while the roots are growing out. Phew. What a mouthful! That said....

....Do you guys have any advice for the best plants that are beginner friendly? I'm looking for any tips, tricks or advice on how I would transition or slowly add live plants as well as best practice to keep them alive! Below is a pic for attention!

Attached Files:

2. wishkahryan

wishkahryanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +17
    Experience:
    1 year
    I would suggest anubias, java fern and floating plants like water letuce as long as you have a decent light they will still grow.

3. OP
    OP
    Yarisaurus

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year
    Will any kind of anubias work?

4. CarolAnne

CarolAnneNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +15
    I’m also wanting to add plants to my 55 gallon. Good luck!

5. HoneybeeJenni

HoneybeeJenniNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have a 10G and after three weeks, I have a water wisteria that has tripled in size, two big amazon swords and a happy little anubias nana, plus an El Nino fern split into two. They're all going strong. I use Flourish Excel fertilizer, usually half a capful or so every water change. If your tank has too low of nitrites/nitrates (there's such a thing?) your plants may actually not get enough food. You'll probably want to change water less often or maybe add a new specimen?!

6. OP
    OP
    Yarisaurus

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year
    How cool! Please share pics if/when you do! I love seeing everyone's aquariums!

7. OP
    OP
    Yarisaurus

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks for the advice! I didn't consider too little nitrates being an issue for the live plants. You just gave me an excuse add a few more little guys.