Tips to get rid of Blue-Green algae?

animalgirl257

hello. there is suddenly loads of blue-green algae in my tank. And i just cant get rid of it. anyone got any tips? it would be very appreciated thank you.

awilkinson871

Blue-green algae is usually cyanobacteria . You should be able to click on the blue word and it will take to you a page to tell you about it and how to fix it.

Upvote 0

jpaquatics

Check out a product called chemiclean. I had blue green algae and this product got rid of it in less than 48 hours. Several years later, I still see no sign of it. I bought it at petco but it’s on Amazon as well.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I used UltraLife Blue Green slime stain remover. It worked like a charm and didn't harm plants or fish. I used it in both a 5.5 gallon tank and a 55 gallon tank. Both were free of this eyesore in no time at all. That was at least 6 months ago and it hasn't come back.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

You can also use erythromycin (eg Maracyn). But I managed to cure an outbreak by removing as much as possible manually then adding Indian almond leaves to the tank. I am not saying this would necessarily help with a really bad case, but it could be useful in preventing a recurrence as well as being totally harmless. I posted about it here:
Indian almond leaves and cyanobacteria | Algae Forum | 488240
I have tried erythromycin and it comes back in a short time. Plus it may kill you cycle bacteria. I have heard good things about the chemiclean type products though. I would try the Almond leaves if I ever see it again! :)

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

I'd try one of the solutions recommended above (my vote is for erythromycin), and then start trying to figure out what you can do to reduce future outbreaks. Erythromycin doesn't kill BB - at least not in reasonable doses ;)

Cyano usually coincides with excess nutrients (high nitrates/phosphates), low flow, and lots of light (in some cases). No one knows what the direct cause is, but typically keeping your nitrates low, increasing circulation, and reducing your lighting period can help keep it from coming back.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Which ever product or way you go about it getting rid of this, it much easier to get rid of than some types of actual algae. :)

Upvote 0

fishnovice33

It’s mainly due to low flow and light. That is why it often takes over the sides of the substrate where there is light and no flow.

As already mentioned by MattGril, the UltraLife BG slime remover is fantastic. I have hear of chmiclean and antibiotic work too but I have not needed to try as the UL works great and doesn’t have an effect on anything.

Upvote 0

animalgirl257

ok thank you so much!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • KTshrimp
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Chewbacca773
  • Question