Tips to catching a lightning fast Chinese algae eater

Kobiashi3

Reactions
Experience
2 years
So I have a Chinese algae eater in my 29 gallon tank that needs to be caught and given away to one of my local fish stores that will gladly take him and resale him. Trying to donate him before he gets too big and aggressive for my community tank. He is lightning fast and it feels like he is impossible to catch. I don’t want to freak out the other fish in the tank and they are not afraid of nets as they (oddly enough) actually swim to them or to my hand if it’s in the water. Does anyone have any traps or tricks to catching one without disturbing everything in my tank? I will cash app $3 to the person with the idea that actually works. It’s like basically buying you a cheap quarantine beer/drink. LOL

Attachments

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Good luck with catching anything without disturbing the crew.....lol

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
Srry I can't help but with that tank decor I don't really know if you will ever catch him.....Oh no I'm scared, what if I ever have to remove my otocinclus?

Prest12

Reactions
Lower the water level to give him less room to get away. Remove a many decorations as possible.
Use multiple nets to corner him. If the other fish are making it too much harder maybe you could move them for a few minutes?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Prest12 said:
Lower the water level to give him less room to get away. Remove a many decorations as possible.
Use multiple nets to corner him. If the other fish are making it too much harder maybe you could move them for a few minutes?
Still gonna freak the other fish out.

Wrench

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
2 years
Kobiashi3 said:
So I have a Chinese algae eater in my 29 gallon tank that needs to be caught and given away to one of my local fish stores that will gladly take him and resale him. Trying to donate him before he gets too big and aggressive for my community tank. He is lightning fast and it feels like he is impossible to catch. I don’t want to freak out the other fish in the tank and they are not afraid of nets as they (oddly enough) actually swim to them or to my hand if it’s in the water. Does anyone have any traps or tricks to catching one without disturbing everything in my tank? I will cash app $3 to the person with the idea that actually works. It’s like basically buying you a cheap quarantine beer/drink. LOL
Patience grasshopper ....it took me almost 45 mins to catch my pleco with almost nothing in the tank...just float the net in the water for a while and let them get used to it...follow his patterns and just rest the net until he gets close.
I know it's hard but try getting him from behind and from bottom to top if possible.

Prest12

Reactions
StarGirl15 said:
Still gonna freak the other fish out.
If they're bring chased around, yes. If they are moved... maybe.
I don't have much experience catching fish. I just found an old thread on here.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
If this fish has a specific food it always loves start feeding it to him in the net. It may take a few days but once it will go in the net to eat, catching it should be a breeze and a lot less stressful to you and your other fish.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Prest12 said:
If they're bring chased around, yes. If they are moved... maybe.
I don't have much experience catching fish. I just found an old thread on here.
Op said he didnt want to freak out the other fish. Not much luck with that with a fast fish.

plecodragon

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know if Chinese algae eaters are nocternal or or not. One of the easiest fish capturing methods is night fishing. Turn off lights at night leave for 2+ hours and then come back and use a flashlight (normal, or you could use a red light). Fish tend to sleep at night and don't move around as much. Spot the fish and scoop with a net you might only get one shot depends on the fish and amount of light you use. If you miss leave for awhile and repeat. Good luck :)

LanceDog

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
Do a 75% WC and use 2 nets and your hand.
This. Remove decor and any other fish that may get in the way. Bring a friend. One person chase the fish to the other side of the tank where you corner it and get it in a net.

OP
K

Kobiashi3

Reactions
Experience
2 years
LanceDog said:
This. Remove decor and any other fish that may get in the way. Bring a friend. One person chase the fish to the other side of the tank where you corner it and get it in a net.
How am I supposed to bring a friend during a pandemic where we are all stuck inside?

This is a solo mission.

blushrimp1 said:
You might try this...
Thanks! I’m going to try this after breakfast!

kansas

Reactions
I wonder if you could go into the room at night after the lights have been off a while, and then turn on the lights.

Your eyes will be ready for it cause you've been in a lit room, but the fish won't be ready for the light and may be disorientated for a short while.

Fisheye

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lots of great ideas suggested. Can only add stick on food tab to bring fish to front of glass. Glad to hear you are taking the pandemic seriously!

OP
K

Kobiashi3

Reactions
Experience
2 years
Kobiashi3 said:
Thanks! I’m going to try this after breakfast!
blushrimp1 said:
You might try this...
I got him in less than 3 hours setting up the trap pictured below! Thanks to your YouTube link it worked! I was able to take him to one of my local fish stores and they gladly took him to find him a better home! Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. My fish already seem happier to have the “Speedy Gonzales” bully out of the tank! Shoot me ur Cash App or Venmo and I will bless you with the winning $3 prize!

Attachments

qldmick

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
i caught this thing yesterday and got covered in water and holes in my net!
P4160150.JPG

blushrimp1

Reactions
Kobiashi3 said:
I got him in less than 3 hours setting up the trap pictured below! Thanks to your YouTube link it worked! I was able to take him to one of my local fish stores and they gladly took him to find him a better home! Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. My fish already seem happier to have the “Speedy Gonzales” bully out of the tank! Shoot me ur Cash App or Venmo and I will bless you with the winning $3 prize!
That's fabulous!!! I'm so glad it worked!

New Threads